Virginia

Funny, my chickens are the same way. As far as I could tell, they just scattered the oyster shell around without eating it, but they loved some dried and crushed egg shell I threw in.

It appears to be the same here. The hens love (and devour!) the egg shells, and just play around with the oyster shelI. They may eating some of the oyster shell, because the shells on the eggs are more consistent and thicker. No more splotchy-looking eggs. I have always fed back their egg shells. I don't dry the shells out in any special way. Just let sit overnight and then flatten them out a little. I throw them in the run.

I've never tried feeding them their egg shells back to them. The roosters seem eat the oyster shells better than the hens do, guess it's cause the hens need to eat the oyster shells and the roosters don't have to
idunno.gif

hello we have had great weather the past couple days. I been thinking for awhile now maybe a bunch of us chicken people getting together somewhere eat together and talk about our chickens and coops. does anybody else think this may be a good idea.

I've never tried feeding them their egg shells back to them. The roosters seem eat the oyster shells better than the hens do, guess it's cause the hens need to eat the oyster shells and the roosters don't have to
idunno.gif

I have the exact same problem when I try to feed my hens old egg shells, my Roo's gobble them up and shoo the hens away until they are done.

OK... I've got some SFH that will be nearing POL by the time Gilmanor gets here.
wink.png

What I'm wondering, is who's going to snag them first. LOL

here's some pics I took today, once I got them sorted into their new (temporary) pens...

8 girls 7 boys, but I'm keeping 2 of each, so it'll be 5 roos and 6 girls available. planning on selling pairs or trios.

I've got 3 blue-based mille boys (couldn't get a pic of the 3rd, but they're nearly identical)

keeping one of these boys, but would have to look at the wing band numbers to say which one for sure.

then there are 4 mille fleur girls, one blue mille and one splash mille (2 pictures of mille1)

you can tell from her markings that she's got the same color pattern as mille 1, just splash rather than black.

OK... I've got some SFH that will be nearing POL by the time Gilmanor gets here.
wink.png

What I'm wondering, is who's going to snag them first. LOL

here's some pics I took today, once I got them sorted into their new (temporary) pens...

8 girls 7 boys, but I'm keeping 2 of each, so it'll be 5 roos and 6 girls available. planning on selling pairs or trios.

I've got 3 blue-based mille boys (couldn't get a pic of the 3rd, but they're nearly identical)

keeping one of these boys, but would have to look at the wing band numbers to say which one for sure.

then there are 4 mille fleur girls, one blue mille and one splash mille (2 pictures of mille1)

you can tell from her markings that she's got the same color pattern as mille 1, just splash rather than black.

How well do SFH lay?, how much would you be selling them for?

I'll be picking up a couple of Cream Legbar chicks, a couple of polish ... and a couple ......????
I'll have to wait and see what grabs my attention.

Back
Top Bottom