Virginia

I live in Carrollton Va and just bought 6 pullets from TSC today. Have them inside in a big tub with a heat lamp and wood shaving.
Have been wanting chickens for a while and finally gave in today and took the plunge.
I was told to keep them inside for 6 weeks and keep the temp in the tub at at 85 degrees?
Does this sound like good advise?
I have the coop out side complete and ready to move in.
Eventually they will be allowed to free range the yard in the evenings when we are out there to supervise them.
Another question i have is - do i need a nesting box for each chicken?
I originally wanted only 4 chicken and was told i have to buy 6 of them. Anyone close by want two baby chicks?

Thanks for your help.
Hi! I'm in Windsor. Welcome to the world of chickens! It's wonderful!
When you're sure which ones you want to keep, I can help you out. Lol. You'll want to keep them all. I have fourteen hens that are laying(not counting the chicks and Roos), I have three laying boxes and they've just started using all three. They used to fight over using the one favorite one.
Best wishes! Just holler if you need anything. Oh and what kind did you get?

Hi! I'm in Windsor. Welcome to the world of chickens! It's wonderful!
When you're sure which ones you want to keep, I can help you out. Lol. You'll want to keep them all. I have fourteen hens that are laying(not counting the chicks and Roos), I have three laying boxes and they've just started using all three. They used to fight over using the one favorite one.
Best wishes! Just holler if you need anything. Oh and what kind did you get?

Cindy
So if i understand you right two nesting boxes are ok for 6 chickens? My brother-in -law lives in Windsor off N Court St so i am that way often.
I got three reds and three whites. not sure what specifically what they are called - whatever TSC sells.
Thank you for your assistance, nice to have someone assist a novice thru the learning process.

Yup - 2 is fine for 6
big_smile.png

Yup - 2 is fine for 6
big_smile.png
Its funny but they all want to use same one anyway . i had 14 hens with 10 nests and they all used two
except on real busy days then three. Chickens are funny. My old nests were larger andI have seen two hens cramming in one nest.
Good Luck and enjoy your chickens.
I have Delawares and EEs hatching as we speak - 4 out so far .

I live in Philomont between Middleburg and Purcellville. I just received 5 of the 7 chicks I ordered from Meyer Hatchery (3 Australorps, 1 Barred Rock and a Buff) the welsummer I wanted didn't hatch and they short changed me one barred rock. I'm expecting 3 welsummers and the Barred Rock to arrive on 21 April. Then a friend from the office who had asked me about chicken raising several weeks ago went out and picked up some chicks for her children to watch grow up but didn't want to keep them. I agreed to take them off her hands when they got too big for them. Well, she dropped them off yesterday. What she said she was getting was three chicks but what she dropped off were a dozen. It looks like they're about half Rhodies and half red sex linked. Now I have to move faster to finish the second coop and extended run area.

As they get a little older and I can determine if any of them are Roos I'll post again but for now what I'm looking to find out is if anyone would want all of the Rhodies and two of the sex linked.

It is awesome when trusted people give free chicks/chickens! I would much rather accept unwanted ones and find them homes later when someone is looking for something like them than leave them to be uncared for as a last minute pet. Great job accepting them- forward march....to building a bigger coop!:) Hint: make it even bigger for the ones you'll add later...;-)

No worries on the coops size this round. The first is a 5' wide x 6' long x 6' high and houses 14 birds comfortably. I learned a lot about that one and how the chicks used the space and nests. This one is going 6' wide' 8' long and 8' high. It will accommodate 20 birds easily. I would rather build a new coop and connect a run to the original one than place birds in with a well established clan group.

I'm giving the girl from my office the opportunity to bring her kids to my place periodically so that they can watch their chicks grow over the summer and I'm giving her a dozen eggs a week to compensate her for their original cost and the cost of the feeders, heat lamp, etc. that she gave to me as well. It's the least I could do and the kids need to know more about the chicks and how they grow more than the few weeks they were in their house.

Saw, nails, screws, pencil, square, saw horses and tractor at the ready - after we do trash pickup along a mile stretch of highway we sponsor.

My husband said to me yesterday: no more chickens! but, but, but....He doesn't understand AT all. half the chicks are goung to turn out male anyway and therefore I do still need more, and Gilmanor is coming up...
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom