Virginia

Got my chicks on Thursday, only lost one welsummer, which, of the three, is probably my roo. I figured I would get a few packing peanuts in the mix, since my order was only 10 chicks total. I ended up with 9 extra males. 9. Anyone need a suspected leghorn cockerel or 9? I guess I might have to build a bachelor pad…
If you can't find homes for 'em, just eat them when they get big enough. Leghorns make good meat chickens.

Got my chicks on Thursday, only lost one welsummer, which, of the three, is probably my roo. I figured I would get a few packing peanuts in the mix, since my order was only 10 chicks total. I ended up with 9 extra males. 9. Anyone need a suspected leghorn cockerel or 9? I guess I might have to build a bachelor pad…

If you can't find homes for 'em, just eat them when they get big enough. Leghorns make good meat chickens.

Yup! Fry those rascals when they hit 2lbs - delicious!
thumbsup.gif

Hello Virginia ! I am a Just Hatched , new Pekin duckling Momma! I have never had birds of any kind , but I am learning by leaps, waddles and bounds. I wanted to say hi and see who is near me ! I am near the Bristol motor speedway !
frow.gif

Hey everyone! I'm in AZ but my sister in law is moving back to Suffolk, VA and wants to start raising chickens. She wanted to take some of my chicks with her, but I'm thinking a 3-day drive and then getting settled in a new house is going to be difficult enough, without baby poultry involved. Ha ha ha!

Is anyone in the area armed with an incubator and interested in Aloha project chicks? I could send some eggs with her hubby when he stops by, but my sister in law is new to chickens so she doesn't have an incubator or experience hatching. If you'd like to hatch out chicks in exchange for a bunch of the chicks, send me a PM. They will be moving from CA to VA in mid-June. So that's when the hatching eggs would arrive. I'm guessing you'd have to drive to Suffolk to pick the eggs up. I don't like to ship eggs, they never hatch very well on the other end! But I've sent the eggs on road trips before with really good success.

She only wants a few hens so maybe a dozen chicks total. Everything else hatched, would be yours to keep.

Here's photos of my flock:

http://www.pinterest.com/alohachickens/aloha-chickens/

Hey everyone! I'm in AZ but my sister in law is moving back to Suffolk, VA and wants to start raising chickens. She wanted to take some of my chicks with her, but I'm thinking a 3-day drive and then getting settled in a new house is going to be difficult enough, without baby poultry involved. Ha ha ha!

Is anyone in the area armed with an incubator and interested in Aloha project chicks? I could send some eggs with her hubby when he stops by, but my sister in law is new to chickens so she doesn't have an incubator or experience hatching. If you'd like to hatch out chicks in exchange for a bunch of the chicks, send me a PM. They will be moving from CA to VA in mid-June. So that's when the hatching eggs would arrive. I'm guessing you'd have to drive to Suffolk to pick the eggs up. I don't like to ship eggs, they never hatch very well on the other end! But I've sent the eggs on road trips before with really good success.

She only wants a few hens so maybe a dozen chicks total. Everything else hatched, would be yours to keep.

Here's photos of my flock:

http://www.pinterest.com/alohachickens/aloha-chickens/

ok what's the purpose of the aloha chicken vs a sfh? there are already a number of SFH breeders in Virginia with large, established and well diversified flocks.

Hello Virginia ! I am a Just Hatched , new Pekin duckling Momma! I have never had birds of any kind , but I am learning by leaps, waddles and bounds. I wanted to say hi and see who is near me ! I am near the Bristol motor speedway !
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
and the VA thread. It's great to have you with us. Also, it's nice to see some more people in SW VA. Most of people on here are in Central or Eastern VA. I'm in Floyd.

Nice to meet you,
~Animals970~

ok what's the purpose of the aloha chicken vs a sfh? there are already a number of SFH breeders in Virginia with large, established and well diversified flocks.
It was started several years before the SFH was imported to the US.

Still in progress, but the end goal will probably end up being much faster maturing due to heavier American bloodlines. My Swedish roo took about 10 months to fully mature, while NHR roos sometimes are ready to breed by 5 1/2 months. More diverse bloodlines, plus a wider variety of colors. Example, the "Confetti" color is Crele + Mottling and there is a "Pumpkin" orange color not seen in Swedish. Now working on introducing Dun gene, which is also not seen in Swedish. Very similar to Swedish, overall, but with ability to add to gene pool. Very much like there are purebred, show quality APA "Ameraucanas" that can only be in certain colors while "Easter Eggers" from the hatchery can come in any color and you can outcross your "Easter Eggers". (For example to make "olive eggers".)

Here are a few colors not seen in Swedish:

*none of the above carry ANY of the "Swedish" bloodlines. I have since introduced some Swedish but these pre-date that introduction.

Basically, I wanted Swedish Flowers years ago, and I couldn't afford to import, so started trying to breed my own from scratch. This is how far I've come in six years of work.

Last edited:
It was started several years before the SFH was imported to the US.

Still in progress, but the end goal will probably end up being much faster maturing due to heavier American bloodlines. My Swedish roo took about 10 months to fully mature, while NHR roos sometimes are ready to breed by 5 1/2 months. More diverse bloodlines, plus a wider variety of colors. Example, the "Confetti" color is Crele + Mottling and there is a "Pumpkin" orange color not seen in Swedish. Now working on introducing Dun gene, which is also not seen in Swedish. Very similar to Swedish, overall, but with ability to add to gene pool. Very much like there are purebred, show quality APA "Ameraucanas" that can only be in certain colors while "Easter Eggers" from the hatchery can come in any color and you can outcross your "Easter Eggers". (For example to make "olive eggers".)

Here are a few colors not seen in Swedish:

*none of the above carry ANY of the "Swedish" bloodlines. I have since introduced some Swedish but these pre-date that introduction.

Basically, I wanted Swedish Flowers years ago, and I couldn't afford to import, so started trying to breed my own from scratch. This is how far I've come in six years of work.
Outstanding persistance and patience- Good job

Back
Top Bottom