Virginia

I just wonder about a swap in Floyd, since it's a bit more out of the way than Christiansburg is... I know someone who owns roadside property on rt 8 that might allow us to hold a swap there once a month, if there were significant interest, but near a store would be better maybe. especially some place that carries feed, since all those new chicken owners need to feed their little guys.

The TSC in Pulaski loves traders and swaps like us and the "history" of the local swap is actually Pulaski for decades prior to the relatively recent move to Christiansburg, of course before/concurrent with Pulaski it was at the stock pen in Christiansburg. The TSC in Pulaski likes us so such they set up tents early before the show!

Also, the new Ace hardware in Dublin are great folks and go out of their way to help the community. I am positive they would welcome us.

There are tons of locations in Blacksburg, but like Floyd its a bit off the beaten track.

There is a reason for the move to Christiansburg, well.. A couple reasons... but the biggest is that its right there where 460 and rt.11 meet (or the new 4 lane I-81 LMAO)

So for ideas,
The stock pen, I think the reason for the bird swap leaving here is no longer valid and they wouldn't mind us back.

Kmart often has folks in their parking lot.

I doubt southern states, they are run with a strict overview of their regional/corporate office. That and the parking lot would be too small.

The DOT lot, its moving just down the street from tractor supply and SOME DOT regional managers allow swaps on sat.

The old harley shop (that lawnmower shop- power something? Moved in?)

The auction places- the one across 460 from Tsc often has yard sales sat. The one across from the stock pen welcomes folks to set up stuff...

Lowes or Mall both occasionally let folks hold events in parking lot.

Montgomery County Health and Human Services Building on pepper st has a large parking lot and is available for community events.

NO CHRISTIANSBURG TOWN PROPERTIES! The MOST important thing in Christiansburg is walking on tiptoes, the last few years the politics have ripped the town management apart and several little kings have built their fiefdoms. One of these is very anti-agriculter especially chickens (must be very hen pecked either now or growing up, or perhaps because of his name?). Anyone watching the zoning fight against a farmers market a couple years ago or about a year later the attempts to permit local folks to sell produce grown on their property can recognize if he finds out we will be tar'd and feathered and booted out of town.

Last edited:
hm... I wonder who owns the property where the TSC USED to be? that's a large, empty parking lot that's not used for much of anything right now... tho rumor has it that Sam's club will be going in there SOMEDAY!

anyone have a clue on that? (across from the mall)

I'd like to hear some input from others in sw Virginia, what their thoughts are on it?

Lowes parking lot is large.
Unknown if Sam's club will take over the old TSC. Unknown whom owns BUT we do frequent the Lowes store there and the management is friendly and does allow different groups to hold sales there once or twice a year. All we can do is get a representative from the group and have that one person ask.
Can I get a motion on that?
May I hear a second?
All those in favor?
All those against?
I dominate______.
A second?
She is elected.
Ok lets think it over and if all are in favor of _____please say so.
We have three weeks. And,... We don't know when management goes on vacation.

Well, I can call around tomorrow and ask a few places... one other consideration though, is shade. some natural shade is a plus. a grassy area would also be cooler over all than a parking lot.

as for Pulaski, I believe the TSC there also had to stop their swaps for the exact same reason. Shelor is the property owner.

Back
Top Bottom