Virginia

All that, AND I forgot to add, I shot that idea of yours to tie a dead chicken around her neck and I got faces of horror. Priceless! I said it at the dinner table. Like this.
Son, sorry she chased after your chickens again.
Husband, we are going to have to do something about that dog.
Son, my boy is good.
Dad/Hubby, son, it is not your boy it is your girl.
Son, I know, I get confused.
Mom/me, someone I met on backyard chickens said way back when she was growing up her dad tied a dead chicken around their dogs neck for a week.
Son and dad/hubby, all eating stopped. Sounds of a Dropped fork hitting the plate. I think.
Hubby/dad, we are not tying a dead chicken to her neck!
The stares were priceless.

Last edited:
Lol!!! One clarification, it was an outside dog... not an inside dog! :-D it was pretty gross... even if it did work. I think there are better ways to teach a dog. Lol.

All that, AND I forgot to add, I shot that idea of yours to tie a dead chicken around her neck and I got faces of horror. Priceless! I said it at the dinner table. Like this.
Son, my boy is good.
Mom/me, someone I met on backyard chickens said way back when she was growing up her dad tied a dead chicken around their dogs neck for a week.
Son and dad/hubby, all eating stopped. Sounds of a Dropped fork hitting the plate. I think.

Son, my boy is good.
Our dog (mutt, spaniel and whatever else is wandering the streets of Roanoke) has a huge prey drive. She once killed 4 squirrels in our fenced in 1/4 acre lot in the city… while she was still a puppy. She may have had a hand in harming a family member's cat. When we moved out here there was no fence, so at times that I could not be outside with her, we tied her out. Short periods, and this was until our we got our fence up. We did not have any other animals when she was a pup, so it was difficult to socialize her with anything other than dogs. I had one chicken in a small coop (long story) that I one day opened the door to let explore just a bit. Dog was tied outside at the same time and I ran back in the house for something. I peeked out the window at the dog only to see her gone… I stepped out and saw the poor chicken in a pile. My dog was a chicken killer. It just so happened that the day I opened up the coop door, my dog also slipped her collar. 100% not the dog's fault. My fault. I opened the door, I had the dog outside, and most importantly, I did not work with her as I should have around chickens.

I thought that was the end of it. She would be as she is forever. I was motivated by another person on BYC to use her to protect my chickens. Work with her. Teach her what is expected of her and what is not.

My husband and I took her out to a small enclosure with our 10 week old flock. We left her leash on her but let her loose with the chickens. We used our voice and the "leave it" command when she got too curious. We did not keep her from exploring and smelling the chickens, but we watched her body language closely and called her down at the first sign things were escalating. Tenseness, excitement were not acceptable. If calling down with our voice did not work we had the leash to apply pressure with our voices. We worked with her often, always ending on a good note until she all but ignored the chickens (though thoroughly enjoys the treats they leave behind
sickbyc.gif
).

I can now say that today you would never know she killed a chicken a year ago. Heck, it's almost the opposite… we wish she would keep them away from the house!!! She will play with the rooster, but that is fair game ~ he sometimes starts the fights. She doesn't even look at the hens. I would not, at this point, trust her with chicks or anything still peeping… that is like a different animal all together and we have not worked on that yet.

I think all of this was possible because she respects us. We took the time to teach her what was acceptable instead of shaming her after the fact. We kept things very black and white and drew the line at the first sign she was acting inappropriately. I am so thankful for that person who convinced me that there was nothing wrong with her and that she needs to have a job and pull her own weight around the farm. I have no doubt that most would have returned this dog to the pound after having her for one week. For us, she has only gotten better with time. Just took giving her a chance to learn.

If you truly want to keep him/her, give him/her a chance to surprise you. Make the rules clear, but he/she must respect you first. Dogs want to please.
big_smile.png
Good luck!!

Our dog (mutt, spaniel and whatever else is wandering the streets of Roanoke) has a huge prey drive. She once killed 4 squirrels in our fenced in 1/4 acre lot in the city… while she was still a puppy. She may have had a hand in harming a family member's cat. When we moved out here there was no fence, so at times that I could not be outside with her, we tied her out. Short periods, and this was until our we got our fence up. We did not have any other animals when she was a pup, so it was difficult to socialize her with anything other than dogs. I had one chicken in a small coop (long story) that I one day opened the door to let explore just a bit. Dog was tied outside at the same time and I ran back in the house for something. I peeked out the window at the dog only to see her gone… I stepped out and saw the poor chicken in a pile. My dog was a chicken killer. It just so happened that the day I opened up the coop door, my dog also slipped her collar. 100% not the dog's fault. My fault. I opened the door, I had the dog outside, and most importantly, I did not work with her as I should have around chickens.

I thought that was the end of it. She would be as she is forever. I was motivated by another person on BYC to use her to protect my chickens. Work with her. Teach her what is expected of her and what is not.

My husband and I took her out to a small enclosure with our 10 week old flock. We left her leash on her but let her loose with the chickens. We used our voice and the "leave it" command when she got too curious. We did not keep her from exploring and smelling the chickens, but we watched her body language closely and called her down at the first sign things were escalating. Tenseness, excitement were not acceptable. If calling down with our voice did not work we had the leash to apply pressure with our voices. We worked with her often, always ending on a good note until she all but ignored the chickens (though thoroughly enjoys the treats they leave behind :sick ).

I can now say that today you would never know she killed a chicken a year ago. Heck, it's almost the opposite… we wish she would keep them away from the house!!! She will play with the rooster, but that is fair game ~ he sometimes starts the fights. She doesn't even look at the hens. I would not, at this point, trust her with chicks or anything still peeping… that is like a different animal all together and we have not worked on that yet.

I think all of this was possible because she respects us. We took the time to teach her what was acceptable instead of shaming her after the fact. We kept things very black and white and drew the line at the first sign she was acting inappropriately. I am so thankful for that person who convinced me that there was nothing wrong with her and that she needs to have a job and pull her own weight around the farm. I have no doubt that most would have returned this dog to the pound after having her for one week. For us, she has only gotten better with time. Just took giving her a chance to learn.

If you truly want to keep him/her, give him/her a chance to surprise you. Make the rules clear, but he/she must respect you first. Dogs want to please. :D  Good luck!!

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us all. I realize how difficult things must have been and I commend you for choosing life over death. Your patience and love had great rewards for both you and your dog.

We are trying to train the dog. She and her siblings were being given away in the WalMart Parking lot. The man admitted to trying to sell for weeks but as the cold was coming he knew they were eating more and decided to give them away. The man said he himself raised chickens to sell eggs. His kids were there manhandling the pups as he talked to others. I felt so sorry for the pups as I told my son, He could have it to save it from that man's kids.

After we got home and the pup went wild on us, I mean hog wild on us. We realized we had a lot of work to do. We have been at it 10 months now and we have made little headway. Oh NOW she behaves in front of us sometimes... but there is no way we can turn our backs on her. She is deadly!

We can not even be 10 feet of her and turn our backs on her. She has killed because my most precious(it always is our best) hen was under some large follage in the garden and the dog saw her grabbed her throttling her and shaking her like a toy as my hubby was trying to stop the dog and get her free from the dog's mouth. Within nano seconds of the dog latching on to her, her life was over. She was my best laying Calico and best sitting Cochin in the world. Her babies were not nearly as good as she was. When she was not sitting she was following me around looking for a special handout because she knew that raspberry was meant for her or that blackberry had her name on it or that blue berry was coming from up high and down to her with my fingers. She would hop
On my garden boots and peck at any little bit of grass clinging to my boots.

I just don't know anymore. What to do. Tried so many things. So far nothing has worked permenently. I am open to suggestions. When we took the doggie obedience classes We learned the "leave it" an the " take it" commands it works on our other dog. Just not on her. So I know there must be something out there to help and you have given me encouragement to try again and again. Thank you for that. I appreciate your input. Thanks again.

Long long time ago in a distant place. I was at a friend's place and was helping a few of the many hatchlings out of their shells. She said this sometimes happens. As she flicked back a few pieces of shell stuck on the chick I was cleaning up and she said in a disgusting way, "she's dog food" I asked what, what do you mean?
She said the RIR next door must have gotten into the pen with her Egyptions. She said she can not sell the eggs or the meat. She had a small market base. They were people from the Middle East. She explained they only eat this and that as she explained she would never be able to use her sonshe was dog food. I thought she was serious and asked if I could have her? I brought her home and she became the pride of out household. An egg about every day. She was walked around as if she were a small dog. The smartest chicken I had ever had or seen and no chicken today is as smart as she was.

It hit me the way this dog goes after these chicks. I fear what happened to the males being born in an egg business/ household.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us all. I realize how difficult things must have been and I commend you for choosing life over death. Your patience and love had great rewards for both you and your dog.

We are trying to train the dog. She and her siblings were being given away in the WalMart Parking lot. The man admitted to trying to sell for weeks but as the cold was coming he knew they were eating more and decided to give them away. The man said he himself raised chickens to sell eggs. His kids were there manhandling the pups as he talked to others. I felt so sorry for the pups as I told my son, He could have it to save it from that man's kids.

After we got home and the pup went wild on us, I mean hog wild on us. We realized we had a lot of work to do. We have been at it 10 months now and we have made little headway. Oh NOW she behaves in front of us sometimes... but there is no way we can turn our backs on her. She is deadly!

We can not even be 10 feet of her and turn our backs on her. She has killed because my most precious(it always is our best) hen was under some large follage in the garden and the dog saw her grabbed her throttling her and shaking her like a toy as my hubby was trying to stop the dog and get her free from the dog's mouth. Within nano seconds of the dog latching on to her, her life was over. She was my best laying Calico and best sitting Cochin in the world. Her babies were not nearly as good as she was. When she was not sitting she was following me around looking for a special handout because she knew that raspberry was meant for her or that blackberry had her name on it or that blue berry was coming from up high and down to her with my fingers. She would hop
On my garden boots and peck at any little bit of grass clinging to my boots.

I just don't know anymore. What to do. Tried so many things. So far nothing has worked permenently. I am open to suggestions. When we took the doggie obedience classes We learned the "leave it" an the " take it" commands it works on our other dog. Just not on her. So I know there must be something out there to help and you have given me encouragement to try again and again. Thank you for that. I appreciate your input. Thanks again.

Long long time ago in a distant place. A friend was helping a few of the many hatchlings out of their shells. She said this sometimes happens. As she flicked back a few pieces of shell stuck on the chick I was cleaning up and she said in a disgusting way, "she's dog food" I asked what, what do you mean?
She said the RIR must have gotten into the pen with her Egyptions. She said she can not sell the eggs or the meat. She had a small market base. They were people from the Middle East. She explained they only eat this and that as she explained she would never be able to use her sonshe was dog food. I thought she was serious and asked if I could have her? I brought her home and she became the pride of out household. An egg about every day. She was walked around as if she were a small dog. The smartest chicken I had ever had or seen and no chicken today is as smart as she was.

It hit me the way this dog hoes after thise chicks. I fear what happened to the males being born in an egg business/ household.
I think you said it well. It will take time but finding the method that works for you is what it will take in the end. My dog has no obedience training. Sure, she can sit. She goes to her bed or her crate on command. She listens to the leave it command on the first or fifth call. But in the end, she knew her place in our pack and from that grew respect for us. I will say she was 2 years old when all of this happened. Perhaps some maturity will help, if you can make it that far.

Our dog is the super low dog on the totem pole. She was afraid of garbage cans. I can only imagine what she went through on the streets. She is timid and fearful. More freedom, living in the country, and having a job has helped her with that. She is a submissive pee--er. Not like the little dogs that get excited and piddle a little. She empties her whole bladder to let us know she is submissive. You have to approach her in a gentle, non aggressive manner or you will be getting out the paper towels and carpet spray. It used to be so bad that if my husband simply said "Hi Girl" to her in passing she would let it all out. You can imagine how things were tricky for us. For a long time we let her get away with some things because we didn't want to make her pee. It was hard to try to assert your dominance as the pack leader in a non-itimidating way. We could not look directly at her. We could not pet her on top of the head or hover over her in any way. I guess her respect for us is something that just happened over time. She's gotten so much better now but will always need to meet company outside the house.

I wish you the best of luck!

Really hope this time you buy at least one of the two book recommened back when I first met you on the site. Your close enough that you could drop by and ask or see. If you want the best, dont mix. When it goes to Cochin Bantams they are so very popular that I believe there is one for every color combination out there. A very large variety of colors. Pure breds. Perfected to standards. That is why I went for the Calicos long ago. They were not included. And they are what I love the most. Everyone thinks theirs is the best. And that is a good thing. I would not buy from someone that thought they bred rag muffins.

Strombergs has books on SOP. I think I read there are 85 color varieties of Bantams? There will be something there that is beautiful that you would want to work towards and shop around for the eggs from winners. Then go for the winners and buy eggs from them to hatch or buy live chicks from the winner's circle. Go straight to the source. Side trips may not prove themselves. I have gotten from the source and never regretted it. I have bought from those that set the standards and wrote the book on their breed. It is not unobtainable. It is very obtainable. Eggs ship and take as long as live chicks to get here.
If SOP is what your after, then go directly to the source.

2 things there I might disagree with... purebred bantam cochins are available in a wide variety of colors, BUT not all of them are easily available in a form that meets the standard of perfection (SOP). it is the goal of cochin breeders (myself included) to bring some of these varieties back up to what they once were, but the patterned varieties especially require extra diligence to get the type and pattern both perfected. the one solid variety that seems to have been neglected is the red. they seem to be under sized or poorly typed, or the color itself is lacking, appearing more orange than the deep brick red desired. So we keep on hoping for better offspring than the parents. and if you're lucky, you get just that.

as for the SOP itself, the only place to reliably find it is the APA. you can also pick up older copies off ebay. nothing in the cochins has changed since the 70s. you could also get a copy of the ABA standard, which does vary slightly from the apa version, but not greatly.

?
?
?

Strombergs or any other hatchery carries the APA SOP. Not sure if Amazon does.

There is also a book strickly for Bantams only called Bantam Standard.

You will have to read back a bit to see where I first recommended. The Idiots guide and the Dummy guide from Amazon or any other book saler for those books and I also recommend APA SOP from any book saler of anything having to do with poultry. They are inexpensive and good basic information and can be picked up in just about any book store.

Raising Chickens is another good book.

What I have not liked about buying used books from ebay is the smell of the book and also getting soaked in the shipping and handling charges. Buyer beware.

I am not sure what your disagreeing about.
I have things to do and places to go, SO, going off line for several days. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom