Virginia

I dont know Mt Healthy.
My family picked up a few chicks while in buying feed at TSC for the expensive poultry we already had back at home. All were healthy. My son got 3 funny leghorns and they are laying machines. 3 Silkies that we gave away. AND Rock Cornish which turned out to be eating machines which we gave away.

I am planning to find which TSC will have brown leghorns. I plan to get several more leghorns from TSC for my son.
I have not gotten my English Orps, nor Phoenix or Ohiki, and not my Cochin Bantams none of these came from TSC. I know they sell Red sex links, black sex links, dixie Rainbows, golden comets etc...and I had not heard mt Heathy had problems, I have heard others say their straight runs turned out to be roos. Again I will repeat,... That is not TSC fault. That would be the supplier.

I believe if you have a problem with a business, let them know. They want your business. They pay attention if they loose customers instead of gaining customers.
They want to serve customers not loose customers.

Last edited:
I never had a PROBLEM with the chicks from TSC (aka Mt Healthy), just that they don't carry the BREEDS I want now. my starter birds when I first got back into chickens after years away from the coop were from TSC and were perfectly healthy. I just ended up selling them all off (or eating a few of the unruly boys) once I settled on the breeds I wanted most.

I am glad I am not the only one that has not had a problem there. I do have compassion for those that got chicks out of gender, or died without known cause. It can happen no matter what supplier one uses. I have not seen breeds there that I want to spend my time and money on. my son has and he he is happy with them. If anyone sees any Lavender or Blue English Orps, Chocolate English Orps or Red English Orps. Some cuckoos or spangled? Please let me know. That would certainly be a buy at around $5. a pop. Lol I do realize eventually everyone will not be happy at an establishment. The odds are someone, somewhere will not be served properly. It happens. It is how we handle it as to if we learn from it.

Last edited:
My little phoenix girl seems to have been interrupted in her laying. She was laying almost an egg every day. Saturday she seemed to be in the nest a long time....without thinking I reached in to give her a pet. She startled and flew out of the nest.....but I checked a bit later and she was back and left an egg. No eggs in the nest since. That is four days. Do you think that is normal? She didn't seem SCARED just startled.....eating good and acting fine. I wondered about her hiding eggs but I am not finding any. I hope nothing is wrong with her.

I am glad I am not the only one that has not had a problem there. I do have compassion for those that got chicks out of gender, or died without known cause. It can happen no matter what supplier one uses. I have not seen breeds there that I want to spend my time and money on. my son has and he he is happy with them. If anyone sees any Lavender or Blue English Orps, Chocolate English Orps or Red English Orps. Some cuckoos or spangled? Please let me know. That would certainly be a buy at around $5. a pop. Lol I do realize eventually everyone will not be happy at an establishment. The odds are someone, somewhere will not be served properly. It happens. It is how we handle it as to if we learn from it.

Sigh what do I need if I can't resist chicks from the feed store? A tub for them and a light to keep them warm? I have all the bedding and feed and feeders. I would much rather put them under a hen but if they are not the right age at the right time.....sigh sigh sigh......

I will try to watch around here to see if anyone carries the English orps you mentioned.

Sigh what do I need if I can't resist chicks from the feed store? A tub for them and a light to keep them warm? I have all the bedding and feed and feeders. I would much rather put them under a hen but if they are not the right age at the right time.....sigh sigh sigh......

I will try to watch around here to see if anyone carries the English orps you mentioned.
Buy more plastic tubs than you plan, buy more heat lamps than you plan, and Then buy more chicks than you plan.
God created these cute cuddly adorable creatures just so we will not say no to them. Do you think a ornery roo (to rival a junkyard dog) would pop out of an egg and we would say how cute and take them home? Got to love them sometime.

Buy more plastic tubs than you plan, buy more heat lamps than you plan, and Then buy more chicks than you plan.
God created these cute cuddly adorable creatures just so we will not say no to them. Do you think a ornery roo (to rival a junkyard dog) would pop out of an egg and we would say how cute and take them home? Got to love them sometime.
gig.gif

I raised both my orders of chicks in a huge cardboard box in my laundry room. I covered it with an old screen insert for the full size storm door and extra cardboard. I raised 17 of them to 9 weeks old (first chickens, coop was not ready yet, from 6 weeks on they spent the days outside in a movable run) and then 19 of them to 6 weeks old (again, spending time outside in temporary run from 4wks on). The cardboard box lined with a trash bag and piled high with shavings held up well and got the job done. I cleaned and refreshed the bedding often and made sure they could not tip the waterer. My biggest complaint was the dust and the main reason why I will never brood indoors again. It's all up to my broody hens now!

Enabler!!

:lau

My little phoenix girl seems to have been interrupted in her laying. She was laying almost an egg every day. Saturday she seemed to be in the nest a long time....without thinking I reached in to give her a pet. She startled and flew out of the nest.....but I checked a bit later and she was back and left an egg. No eggs in the nest since. That is four days. Do you think that is normal? She didn't seem SCARED just startled.....eating good and acting fine. I wondered about her hiding eggs but I am not finding any. I hope nothing is wrong with her.
Normal process

Back
Top Bottom