Virginia

For 2015 I am going to be doing a New Start with Some very nice Heritage Endangered Breeds to give our local 4-Hers a chance to see the importance in keeping these breeds alive, and bred to SOP. I have gotten rid of all my fancy breeds, the Gold Laced Brahmas, Calico Cochins, English Orpingtons, Japanese Mottled Bantams, etc etc, now we have the following growing up or breeding in our coops.

Buckeyes
Delawares
Javas (Mottled)
Welsummer

and of course some Ameracaunas to breed to the Welsummers for Olive eggers.

By 2016 we should be in full swing of the breeds listed above and all birds sold will provide feed and stuff for the others. The 4-Hers will have pick of chicks each year to use in their Poultry Projects, and hopefully enjoy the breeds as much as our an sisters did.

For 2015 I am going to be doing a New Start with Some very nice Heritage Endangered Breeds to give our local 4-Hers a chance to see the importance in keeping these breeds alive, and bred to SOP. I have gotten rid of all my fancy breeds, the Gold Laced Brahmas, Calico Cochins, English Orpingtons, Japanese Mottled Bantams, etc etc, now we have the following growing up or breeding in our coops.

Buckeyes
Delawares
Javas (Mottled)
Welsummer

and of course some Ameracaunas to breed to the Welsummers for Olive eggers.

By 2016 we should be in full swing of the breeds listed above and all birds sold will provide feed and stuff for the others. The 4-Hers will have pick of chicks each year to use in their Poultry Projects, and hopefully enjoy the breeds as much as our an sisters did.

That is a wonderful project...good luck!

I currently have 1 hen, 4 pullets (hen's offspring) and 1 cockerel buff orpington as well as a 4 month old pair of buff laced polish. The 4 misc. cockerels don't count;-) Welp order of RIR, Dark RIR, WL and Ameracaunas (26 ordered plus whatever extras) due to ship mid Feb and 14 Lavender Orp eggs, 3 bantam dom eggs and 3 bantam somethings eggs thst I forgot whst they were in the bator due to hatch the same day as the ordered chicks. Anf I just came across a local ad for Icelandic chicken hatching eggs! I sure hope everyone can get at least a little from their list this year!

Sgt. Pepper? He sounds like a good guy - he definitely should stay with you.

I just need to decide when to dole out the dinner invites....
Ohh we are eating one of my chickens today..I didn't plan to butcher her but she got hit by a car and we didn't want to waste it...so we butchered her.

How bout the 14th of feburaray and my birthday- the 20th of feb?

Sgt. Pepper loves to show his hens where to nest-besides the nesting boxes of course!

That is a wonderful project...good luck!

Thank you all for your encouragement. I am hoping this will catch the interest of the children and help get these breeds going back strong. As our children are going to be the ones to make these breeds come back. If we don't teach our children the importance to be self sustainable we cant expect them to know how if it becomes necessary.
I don't mind taking my hobby and turning it into this project, Yes all the other breeds are prettier maybe, but being able to sustain your own food is also very important.
Anyone wanting to help out with this project I am willing to listen, just email me or PM me.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom