Virginia

Only ones I'm having problems with are my Javas, 1 has gone broody and the others are scared to go in the coop with her, but now she has decided that since I wont leave eggs with her she might as well go out with the others so hopefully eggs soon. I have been getting one here and there from them, but out of 4 hens only 2 eggs in the last week.

Thank you all for your encouragement. I am hoping this will catch the interest of the children and help get these breeds going back strong. As our children are going to be the ones to make these breeds come back. If we don't teach our children the importance to be self sustainable we cant expect them to know how if it becomes necessary.
I don't mind taking my hobby and turning it into this project, Yes all the other breeds are prettier maybe, but being able to sustain your own food is also very important.
Anyone wanting to help out with this project I am willing to listen, just email me or PM me.

Thanks,

Neat project! I have been planning on focusing on one breed for a while, and hope to make a decision and hatch some under a broody this summer. I want a heritage breed, something that free ranges well and is predator savvy. Tall order, but I am doing my research. I just want something my grandparents would have had wandering around their farm when they were young.

@ShadyGroveFarm1 I might be having the opposite problem… I get 13-15 eggs a day from 20 hens, two of which have not stopped laying for over a year! No supplemental lighting and I might be little late letting them out of the coop on cold rainy windy days! Anyone need some eggs?
big_smile.png

For 2015 I am going to be doing a New Start with Some very nice Heritage Endangered Breeds to give our local 4-Hers a chance to see the importance in keeping these breeds alive, and bred to SOP. I have gotten rid of all my fancy breeds, the Gold Laced Brahmas, Calico Cochins, English Orpingtons, Japanese Mottled Bantams, etc etc, now we have the following growing up or breeding in our coops.

Buckeyes
Delawares
Javas (Mottled)
Welsummer

and of course some Ameracaunas to breed to the Welsummers for Olive eggers.

By 2016 we should be in full swing of the breeds listed above and all birds sold will provide feed and stuff for the others. The 4-Hers will have pick of chicks each year to use in their Poultry Projects, and hopefully enjoy the breeds as much as our an sisters did.
I love to see people help out with 4H. I think that what you are doing is so awesome.

Neat project! I have been planning on focusing on one breed for a while, and hope to make a decision and hatch some under a broody this summer. I want a heritage breed, something that free ranges well and is predator savvy. Tall order, but I am doing my research. I just want something my grandparents would have had wandering around their farm when they were young.

@ShadyGroveFarm1
 I might be having the opposite problem… I get 13-15 eggs a day from 20 hens, two of which have not stopped laying for over a year! No supplemental lighting and I might be little late letting them out of the coop on cold rainy windy days! Anyone need some eggs? :D  
All of our birds forage, but the best are probably the Minorcas, Blue Andalusians, Welsummers, Anconas, Delaware, Marans, and the Rocks. The MaranMarans is the only one that is not considered a Heritage breed. Of my mom's heritage breeds her Houdans, Wyandottes, and Langshans, do really well with foraging. One of her neighbors has Brahmas Orpingtons, and Brown Leghorns(also haritage breeds) that hardly get feed and are awesome foragers. We all have other breeds, but when it comes to foraging heritage breeds these have been our all stars. Out of these birds the Minorcas, Andalusians, Brown Leghorns, and Ancona are predator savvy.

Last edited:
getting a few cubalaya eggs and even asil eggs. incubator full and eggs for breakfast. sustainable heritage breeds.

The Cubas, are a wonderful breed and wish I had hung on to mine, may start a new Quad, this Spring if someone I know will extend a hand and put me a nice quad of youngins together, as they are also a Endangered Heritage breed. They are wonderful foragers, and predator savy, you betcha.

va raptor, I will let you know when I have some ready this spring. raising a bunch of red pyles, whites, and some gold duckwings and should have enough to sell some. other colors that I am working on: black, birchen, black red or dark brown red, and bb red

The Cubas, are a wonderful breed and wish I had hung on to mine, may start a new Quad, this Spring if someone I know will extend a hand and put me a nice quad of youngins together, as they are also a Endangered Heritage breed. They are wonderful foragers, and predator savy, you betcha.

just let me know kayak. the colors that I will have this spring are in the post above

Back
Top Bottom