Virginia

Thanks ReMe, If you don't need them gone soon I'll catch up with you whenever I have to go out your way or if you're going up Roanoke way sometime I could meet you along the way. I way..ved in yer general direction last week, but didn't have time to stop and it was way late when I was heading back. I imagine I'll catch up to you sometime unless I get waylaid.    :D  

I get the feeling your place is a like foster home for cluckers until they adopted.  :lau  
You know where We live. Hubby will keep them safe from scrap Metal.

@MistyMountain

This too shall pass. I started with a 4x6 coop. Thought it would suit my needs. Now I have the 4'x6' a 7'x12' and 2-30"x42" 1 for juveniles, 1 for brooding and have plans for another largish coop. IT NEVER ENDS! I tell ya!!
lau.gif

Last edited:
@MistyMountain

This too shall pass. I started with a 4x6 coop. Thought it would suit my needs. Now I have the 4'x6' a 7'x12' and 2-30"x42" 1 for juveniles, 1 for brooding and have plans for another largish coop.  IT NEVER ENDS! I tell ya!!    :lau  
Oh, i think I will down size to just a few larger houses instead if a bunch of smaller ones.... Not really just kidding.

@MistyMountain

This too shall pass. I started with a 4x6 coop. Thought it would suit my needs. Now I have the 4'x6' a 7'x12' and 2-30"x42" 1 for juveniles, 1 for brooding and have plans for another largish coop. IT NEVER ENDS! I tell ya!!
lau.gif

LOL! We're seriously just keeping enough here for eggs for ourselves, maybe a few for dinner. I'll let broodies hatch what they will and keep some if I need more layers and sell what I don't need. I do have a 4x4 coop for broodies that won't work hatching in the coop with the flock and will probably have my 6 x 10 temporary coop to fall back on if DH does not reclaim it for storing other things around the property.

This coop is going to be solid. It would take something serious to knock it down!

I thought the same.. a coupla eggs... maybe some fresh chicken... then...... wellllll it kinda snowballed from there.

Yep... looks solid enough.. are you sure he's not thinking man cave?
smile.png

Last edited:
I've been trying to figure out how to put together a 'high volume' waterer for the chooks while I'm on vaca and I think I may FINALEY have it!
I've tried nipple systems before and my girls just didn't 'get' it.

So - I found a tiny float valve - like in a toilet - and installed it in my 5gal 'little giant' waterer. Then connected it to the garden hose. That seemed to work until the level in the waterer reservoir dropped enough to open the valve. Then the water was rushing out the bottom as fast as it came in the top... flood!
So I took the black cap that is normally used when filling and drilled a tiny hole in it - creating a restrictor or regulator. This SEEMS to be working great. It has been in testing-use since yesterday. If it works, and if anyone is interested, I'll post picts.

I've been trying to figure out how to put together a 'high volume' waterer for the chooks while I'm on vaca and I think I may FINALEY have it!
I've tried nipple systems before and my girls just didn't 'get' it.

So - I found a tiny float valve - like in a toilet - and installed it in my 5gal 'little giant' waterer. Then connected it to the garden hose. That seemed to work until the level in the waterer reservoir dropped enough to open the valve. Then the water was rushing out the bottom as fast as it came in the top... flood!
So I took the black cap that is normally used when filling and drilled a tiny hole in it - creating a restrictor or regulator. This SEEMS to be working great. It has been in testing-use since yesterday. If it works, and if anyone is interested, I'll post picts.

Fantastic! Would love to see it!

Back
Top Bottom