Virginia

The reality is there is no enforcement of the law. The only thing I no the agro department can do is say please leave and tell them the laws. That's it!! So people do it all the time because truth be told they can

The reality is there is no enforcement of the law. The only thing I no the agro department can do is say please leave and tell them the laws. That's it!! So people do it all the time because truth be told they can

May be true because the state AG doesn't have agents to enforce it - they are service related.
But that said ,bring a non- NPIP bird across state lines and cause a major poultry epidemic and some one else will enforce it.

May be true because the state AG doesn't have agents to  enforce it - they are service related.
But that said ,bring a non- NPIP bird across state lines and cause a major poultry epidemic and some one else will enforce it. 
I hold little to no regard for NPIP, the chickens I have seen coming from farms that are NPIP have been in some of the worse conditions at the swaps or private trade. I am not NPIP. I have not nor will not take an animal nor vegetable across the state lines period. But there are some coming up from NC being sold. I will not go down 77 across the state line and buy from the veggie stands in NC no mater how low the price and no matter how much better the veggies may look.

I hold little to no regard for NPIP, the chickens I have seen coming from farms that are NPIP have been in some of the worse conditions at the swaps or private trade. I am not NPIP. I have not nor will not take an animal nor vegetable across the state lines period. But there are some coming up from NC being sold. I will not go down 77 across the state line and buy from the veggie stands in NC no mater how low the price and no matter how much better the veggies may look.

NPIP only has to do with testing for chicken diseases and keeping them from spreading - they don't monitor how they are cared for or quality of life .
So you still need to be concerned with other chicken health matters when you are purchasing birds

having a npip flock myself, i think that it is important to get your birds tested. i cant add birds to my flock that are not npip. you cant show birds or ship to other states unless you are npip. these swaps are dangerous as far as sick chickens being dosed with tylan and then being sold to unsuspecting buyers, who later find out that their flock is now carriers of mg or ib

having a npip flock myself, i think that it is important to get your birds tested. i cant add birds to my flock that are not npip. you cant show birds or ship to other states unless you are npip. these swaps are dangerous as far as sick chickens being dosed with tylan and then being sold to unsuspecting buyers, who later find out that their flock is now carriers of mg or ib

Yep

Absolutely. I am not npip, but I am also not in the business of selling chickens. I may be one day. As an educated consumer, when shopping to add to my closed flock, NPIP is a must, and if you have tested for MS/MG, you really have my attention.

I have happened across a swap a time or two and have also heard people at there comment "Oh, it's just a little head cold. Give tylan and they will be all better. No. Thank. You. I bought my chickens for a healthier lifestyle, not to have to dose and worry about dosing again in the future, let alone the entire flock.

No offense, just my opinion, but I believe that if you are in the business of selling poultry, testing should be a requirement, inside or outside of state lines. In the long run, it can only do good for the future of all. Won't make a difference if they do not enforce it, though.

A sparrow could sneeze on my flock tomorrow and infect it, but I am going to take every step possible to ensure I am not the responsible one for infecting my flock.

not a business for me just a hobby. i only want the best and healthiest birds to breed here. i cull for all kind of reasons. my goal to have the best chickens that i can have. because of my culling in the past, i have very few if any sick birds. if i have off colored birds or birds that i cant breed but are otherwise good and productive birds, i sell them. this is a form of culling too. i would always let you know why i am selling a particular bird if you wanted to know and these i usually let go fairly cheap. i could very easily keep the best 1% hatched and eat everything else and never need to be npip but making a little money to pay for feed or new pens or even a new bird is important.

Back
Top Bottom