Virginia

There's a video that keeps popping up on facebook of a rooster who's crow sounds like a laugh. Has anyone seen it?
Is that real??? What breed is that?

Hey neighbors! I'm a first year chicken guy and with winter coming on just looking for tips and advice to keep my water from freezing and my girls warm. I'm a little northeast of Richmond in King William county. Right now I just have 3 gravity fed waterers. I'm thinking of running some extension cords with maybe some heat tape to wrap the water containers but any advice would be awesome!

Hey neighbors! I'm a first year chicken guy and with winter coming on just looking for tips and advice to keep my water from freezing and my girls warm. I'm a little northeast of Richmond in King William county. Right now I just have 3 gravity fed waterers. I'm thinking of running some extension cords with maybe some heat tape to wrap the water containers but any advice would be awesome!

I use nipple buckets and put a birdbath anti freezer in them - it comes on at 35 degrees and keeps the water from freezing - they are available from several sources. This is the type I use and I think you can get them down to 250 watts for a smaller bucket. My buckets with nipples are about two gallons.We put a plastic colander in the bottom so the heater doesn't touch the nipples. Works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovat...79904867&sr=8-8&keywords=heater+for+bird+bath

Hello, how is everyone doing?
Next year I plan on getting Breese for meat birds and RIR & RIW for a run of heavy layers. Have some beauties that live a long time but they lay only 150 average eggs a year. I usually use 12 eggs for a Sunday morning bake. 12 eggs for a German Chocolate Cake. And Neighbors love their free eggs. Buying less meats and using more eggs in everything. Really need some heavy hitters.
What are your plans for next year?
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all.

Hey back at ya REME, how are things up the mountain? RIR are a way to go for lots of eggs. The ones I have/had layed about 260 eggs each the last two years. But I only have 2 left due to predation this year. I also lost the last of the Bresse. I'm leaning more to the Orpingtons for the coming year.

Y'all have as happy a holiday season as ya can manage!

Back
Top Bottom