Virginia

New BYC member from Loudoun County, VA. Any other active members from this neck of the woods?

Yup we're rite south of you in Haymarket! It seems most BYC Virginia meme era on in Richmond and south. But there's a few of us up here
1f601.png

I wish we could free-range ours. Hawks and dogs would have them picked clean. Do Breese require goats milk and stuff, or do you just give it to them to fatten them up?
I have them shipped. I've ordered over 1,000 birds from them all in all and only ever had 1 DOA, but they always send bunches extra, so it was not a loss in the long run. I find the FR's to be much hardier than Cornish crosses, they have awesome foraging abilities, and overall just act more chickeny than CX. Umm, don't think I've got any tips for them.....I brood them just the way you'd brood any other chicks. I usually process mine 11-13 weeks depending on the batch. We keep 50 birds in a hoop house that is 10' x 12', so you could probably fit 40 in a eight by eight coop. We move our hoop houses twice a day since we have so many to a pen. If you like non GMO, FR hatchery offers chicks from non-GMO parent stock, and we get that every time. Also,I wrote an article on raising broilers you might like to skim over--http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-broilers-in-your-backyard. If you have any additional questions, ask away!

Happy Valentines day to you guys as well!

Question since it sounds you have experience with the freedom rangers. We just for the first time slaughtered about 20 chickens. They were different breed roosters we no longer wanted but we're all egg laying breeds including some orps. Long story short no one will eat them? Everyone says they are too gamy. So I want to get some broilers. How gamy are the freedom rangers compared to egg laying chickens versus Cornish?

Hey guys I have a lavender and blue ameracauna I need to get rid of to start thinning the flock for spring breeding pens. Anyone interested? I'm in northern VA

I have been asked many times, Am I participating in Chicken Swaps this year? I will participate in several Chicken swaps at TSC a couple of times each month for 4 out of 12 months this year. I do not plan to attend GlenManor because I am not a die hard in the Chicken business. I am strickly hobby only and I am downsizing greatly! If your interested please Let me know pm as a I am always interested in these.

Last edited:
Question since it sounds you have experience with the freedom rangers. We just for the first time slaughtered about 20 chickens. They were different breed roosters we no longer wanted but we're all egg laying breeds including some orps. Long story short no one will eat them? Everyone says they are too gamy. So I want to get some broilers. How gamy are the freedom rangers compared to egg laying chickens versus Cornish?

In my experience "gamey" favor in roosters is a result of age more than breed. Since broilers get big faster they're slaughtered younger.

You're probably already on top of this, but how you decide to cook/serve the meat matters, too. Try soups, heavily seasoned slow cooking, curries, strong marinades (like Teriyaki). I'd avoid just straight pan frying / grilling old rooster.

Hello all, Does anyone know of a good Eng Orpington breeder in Maryland or Virginia? I'm looking for a Black Roo and a Blue Roo. I also need mottled pullets. Thanks

Just joined. Have week old chicks: 6 Australorps, 3 leghorns, and 3 Jersey Giants (1 is a rooster)

Live about 20 minutes southwest of Richmond (in chesterfield county)

Back
Top Bottom