Virginia

Just seeing this VA thread! I'm in Montgomery county, southwest VA. I was raised in Botetourt Co. Very familiar with shenandoah valley area, not that far away.
I am a new chicken momma to 4 hens that are 5 months old. We've had them a week now and getting into a somewhat routine. We have 2 black barred rocks and 2 red sex links. So far only 1 of each is laying, but I'm not concerned since they've endured a move. We're going to free range them once we feel they and we are comfortable enough with the idea.
So glad to meet yall!
So nice to meet you too!:welcome You've got some good layers. The sex links are not as pretty as the barred rocks, but you will love the egg production from them! The first year my sex link layed eggs, she layed 356 eggs. Only missed 4 days out of the whole year. This year, her second laying, she's missed about a dozen days so far. We lost a girl to a predator, which was immediately followed by some serious damage to the coop/run and yard from fallen tree limbs from an ice storm. Nobody was laying for some time due to all the trauma. But Lily, the sex link, is a trooper. Once she got back into laying she hasn't missed a beat. She's also layed some hugh eggs and a number of double yolks. You'll have fun checking the nest every day! :fl

Just seeing this VA thread! I'm in Montgomery county, southwest VA. I was raised in Botetourt Co. Very familiar with shenandoah valley area, not that far away.
I am a new chicken momma to 4 hens that are 5 months old. We've had them a week now and getting into a somewhat routine. We have 2 black barred rocks and 2 red sex links. So far only 1 of each is laying, but I'm not concerned since they've endured a move. We're going to free range them once we feel they and we are comfortable enough with the idea.
So glad to meet yall!
Great to meet you too! You will love having chickens. Mine are just so fun to be around...I have had more laughs at their antics that should be allowed, lol.

@roseytheriveter I'm so close to Tysons~ in Falls Church City! If your son ever wants chickens, let him know that that are allowed in Falls Church City and Arlington ~ not Fairfax county funny enough...
@Susan Dye hopefully the new pullets disrupt things enough that your RIR settles down!
Unfortunately they are in an apartment right now...they are planning to move to Chicago later this year, so they won't be buying a house here.

Unfortunately they are in an apartment right now...they are planning to move to Chicago later this year, so they won't be buying a house here.
Eek Chicago:eek: My husband and I were living in nyc 14 years ago and had just had our first baby ~ we had the choice of staying in nyc, moving to Chicago or coming to northern va. It was an easy choice coming here lol. Chicago’s weather does not agree with me! But I’m a bit of a baby lol:barnie I’m sure you’ll be missing them not being a few hours drive away.

Eek Chicago:eek: My husband and I were living in nyc 14 years ago and had just had our first baby ~ we had the choice of staying in nyc, moving to Chicago or coming to northern va. It was an easy choice coming here lol. Chicago’s weather does not agree with me! But I’m a bit of a baby lol:barnie I’m sure you’ll be missing them not being a few hours drive away.

Yes I will really miss them...especially since they are trying to have a baby. My son is remarried and his daughter lives in Chicago; it's not my first choice of a place to live, that's for sure, but for him it makes sense. He's really having trouble finding a job there, since he has worked for the military and the State Dept. for the past 15 years. You can't put a lot of what he's done on a resume, since it's classified. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom