Virginia

Greetings everyone! New to the group and keeping backyard chickens in Virginia. I grew up out in the boonies in PA, so I’m not unfamiliar with keeping livestock. Just not here in a backyard. Having them as more pets will be a new experience, but not different in practice I suppose. We’re getting set up and I’ve found someone who raises high quality birds nearby. So we will be picking up babies soon.
That being said, I thought I would reach out to our local group as I’ve already perused most of the buy/sell/trade forum. I’m trying to see if anyone has anything they no longer need, want, or use to sell. I always try to buy used, local, or repurpose first. So just reaching out to see. Let me know! Thanks everyone!

Greetings everyone! New to the group and keeping backyard chickens in Virginia. I grew up out in the boonies in PA, so I’m not unfamiliar with keeping livestock. Just not here in a backyard. Having them as more pets will be a new experience, but not different in practice I suppose. We’re getting set up and I’ve found someone who raises high quality birds nearby. So we will be picking up babies soon.
That being said, I thought I would reach out to our local group as I’ve already perused most of the buy/sell/trade forum. I’m trying to see if anyone has anything they no longer need, want, or use to sell. I always try to buy used, local, or repurpose first. So just reaching out to see. Let me know! Thanks everyone!
:frowWelcome to BYC! Always glad to see new ppl on the VA thread. Wish I could help you out with used items, but I'm a pretty good ways from you. Hope you find someone close by who has some useable things. Maybe the ppl you are getting your chicks from can help. Lots of good help on here with advice/suggestions for raising backyard chickens under lots of different conditions. We would love to see pictures of your new flock! Enjoy, and do feel free to share your experiences.

Hello! Are you planning to keep the chicks as pets?

Hello everyone! Well, we moved to King George County in September and we got our Rhode Island Reds chicks in March. We have four pullets at this point and they have moved out to the coop (they were driving me insane in the garage). They have been out in the coop about a week and are seeming to really be enjoying life out there. Glad to "meet" everyone here in VA on the forum.

-B

Cross post from the Free Animals in Need of Rehoming forum:
NOT my birds and I don't have any further information except what's on the website, but a friend at Loudoun County Animal Services mentioned that they have a number of hens and a pair of roos that are available for adoption, appearantly all from the same flock. They're not quite free, but I think that the adoption fee is only $2 each, owner said that they are all just over a year old.
They have a pair of muscovies, as well, from a different person.
Here's the county website:
https://www.loudoun.gov/534/Available-Pets
And the birds:
https://petharbor.com/results.asp?s...hdr_bg=22624d&col_hdr_fg=ffffff&col_bg=eefff9

Back
Top Bottom