Virginia

Pics
Quote:
I found a home for one Sussex roo, but I still have the other. If you end up with space for him, you can PM me and I'll let you know if I still have him.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks! He is pretty, isn't he?
love.gif
He's getting a yellow color in around his neck. Such a pretty boy. I wish I could keep them all, but... I think the situation would become untenable.
Here he is munching on some watermelon in this heat!
80987_img_8760.jpg

Quote:
I found a home for one Sussex roo, but I still have the other. If you end up with space for him, you can PM me and I'll let you know if I still have him.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks! He is pretty, isn't he?
love.gif
He's getting a yellow color in around his neck. Such a pretty boy. I wish I could keep them all, but... I think the situation would become untenable.
Here he is munching on some watermelon in this heat!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80987_img_8760.jpg

Munching on watermellon is just what my chickens were doing yesterday evening, too. The gold color is nice. I have a OEGB x bantam cochin cockerel that's black, but he is getting in some gold lacing around his neck and tail, though he doesn't have as much gold as your roo, at least not yet. I'd like to keep all my little roosters, too, but, like you, it's not really possible for me to keep them all.

Just a heads up folks. We killed a copperhead last night that was headed right toward the chickens. It was on the pathway to our coop. Copperheads are nocturnal and with the heat we've been having, you may start seeing them. Just be careful at night - their camouflage makes them a challenge to see without a pretty strong flashlight.

Quote:
Wow. I have killed 2 black snakes so far. One ate one of my 2 week old chicks. I have a grow out coop that is not snake proof. I did put down that snake-away stuff. It seems to work.

he.gif
snakes

I actually haven't seen any snakes this year *fingers crossed*, but I'll keep a look-out. We have had both copperheads and black snakes around in the past.

Can anyone around the Richmond area recommend a place to buy a few pullets? Should I just find a farmer or some place to buy a few or maybe craigs list? I check it occasionally and see people trying to get rid of chickens but usually they include a rooster, which I haven't talked my DH into yet
wink.png
I am willing to drive a bit and was thinking of checking out edens farms in Goochland.

chickenn@@b :

Can anyone around the Richmond area recommend a place to buy a few pullets? Should I just find a farmer or some place to buy a few or maybe craigs list? I check it occasionally and see people trying to get rid of chickens but usually they include a rooster, which I haven't talked my DH into yet
wink.png
I am willing to drive a bit and was thinking of checking out edens farms in Goochland.

You might wait a few more weeks until the weather decides to stay a bit cooler. Older and overweight birds as well as youngsters have a rough time in this heat.

BYC folks are always a good start for finding birds. Several good farmers (chicken people) near me are not on here. Most important is to decide what sort of hen do you want? If you like big eggs, look at the Large Fowl. If you like Bantams and their tiny eggs, look through that listing. Do you want strictly egg layers or dual purpose (to eat some of them in the future)?

You *can* buy a few pullets just about anyplace. I suggest you aim higher, lol. These birds can be loaded with personality. They will be a part of your family. They may even become your yard work buddies. It might require a road trip or two, but it will be worth it to take your time to carefully pick out the birds YOU like.

Good luck picking a cool flock!​

chickenn@@b :

wink.png

Edens Farms is a great place to pick up some nice pullets.I have bought pullets there before.their phone number is (804) 556-3377.
Also there is a swap in Powatan this Saturday at TSC also a swap in Charlottsville TSC this Saturday.The swaps are a great place to be able to see all kinds of chickens at once.Swaps start at 8am and last until 2..They are lots of fun.​

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! I have killed three black snakes this year and I haven't given any thoughts of them being out at night but it makes sense.Out west the rattlesnakes lay across the roads at night.Thanks again for the warning.

Back
Top Bottom