Virginia

Quote:
Hey - to those going to Gilmanor. I've never been to a chicken swap before. Actually, I don't think I've been to any sort of swap before. What should I expect?
Something sort of like the poultry section of the state fair...????
I've got a few really newbie questions.
idunno.gif
I would assume these things pretty much cash only - right? If I'm hoping to try and pick up just a chick or two from several different breeds... should I tote a kitty carrier along with me?? Would that be "frowned upon" for bio-security reasons?? Should I plan to pick out birds - put them in the truck - come back and look some more???

What advice would you give to a first-time-chick-Mom and her first ever chicken swap?
can't say for gilmanor, but it sounds a lot bigger than i've been to before...

for our little TSC swaps, i try to keep some boxes to fit the birds i'm selling. many people have cat/dog crates and just toss all the new birds in together. i think it's a matter of what you're comfortable with. personally it would depend on the ages of the birds. most chickens will do fine boxed, but if it's too warm could overheat easily. for chicks, i use a box or small cat/bird carrier, for bigger birds i use larger cages or crates.

another thing i bring with me to swaps are extra nylon/cloth feed bags (they each hold 100 pounds of feed from our local mill). in a pinch they can be used to 'house' birds that won't fit into the available boxes or crates. they're soft and won't damage feathers, close with a zip tie, and being a fabric, the birds won't suffocate in them. down side, they're not 'leak proof' and they don't stack well. so be sure to have plenty of room to put whatever you get and bring an old sheet/blanket/whatever to cover seats if you don't want errant shavings and/or poops on them.
barnie.gif
lau.gif

since i have birds already, all new (fully feathered) birds are bathed and treated for lice/mites/worms, then go into quarantine away from my existing birds for at least 2 weeks, then into a separate pen for at least a couple more weeks before joining the rest of the flock. chicks are another story for me. mine have only come from hatched eggs or npip sources and i'll combine them in the brooder, then migrate them outside much as i would any of my other chicks. by the time they meet the rest of the flock they're between 6-8 weeks old anyways.

i always try to be prepared for anything... whether you're buying or selling, it's always a good idea to have the following:
extra cages (boxes, crates, whatever)
food and water dishes (hanging is good unless you like food and water on the floor, seat, windows...)
food (chick starter/grower is good for any age bird)
water, baby wipes (poop happens) and hand sanitizer.
I also keep a tarp, bungee cords, tie downs, etc in the truck for when i need to put birds in the back (tarp keeps the wind off them, tie downs keep the crates/cages from sliding around)
almost all of that lives in my 'go box', in addition to a small tote that permanently resides in the truck (under the drivers seat), including wire cutters, pliers, adjustable wrench, a hammer, zip ties, and duct tape.

ETA: ok yeah i'm a bit 'organized' (maybe slightly obsessive about it...)

Last edited:
Wow... TOTALLY organized. I am so impressed.
bow.gif

So here's 'the plan'. We'll be arriving in a pickup with one of those shells over the bed. I'm bringing a friend who thinks she's along for the ride..actually she's an extra set of hands to tote things.
clap.gif

I'm hoping to pick up maybe a dozen chicks. I hadn't considered having to provide food and water between leaving the swap and getting home.. it's only about 90mins. but I just checked and the little 1qt water er that I have fits nicely inside my big carrier and I think that I can set it up to hang. (Won't it just slosh around and soak everyone???) Food will either have to wait or be in a small crock dish.
Can I carry chicks from one booth to another in a little carrier? I would hate to keep taking them to the truck 1 or 2 at a time.. and if it's really warm that day.. the back of the truck will get HOT. I'm not sure what good 'swap manners' would be. I wouldn't want to make anyone mad by bringing my chicks around their birds ... How does that work??
hu.gif

I'm going to pick up the brooder from a friend next weekend so it will be all set up and ready before I leave home that morning.
I'm probably obsessing about this but I've been waiting for these chicks for years and I SO want it to be a pleasant experience - for all of us.
* carriers (3) - check!
* food & water - check!
* food and water dishes - only have one set.. will have to pick up a few more waterers between now and then - gonna need them anyway.
* bag of shavings for bedding - check!
* baby wipes and hand sanitizer - check!
* someone to drag me to the truck and drive off with me before I get tooo carried away - check!
* brooder box w/all equip. from chicken-experienced friend - check!
* shed on the way to be coop once fluffy chicks become feathered chickens - check!
* poles / wire / roofing for run to be attached once the shed arrives - check!
* paint to make old grey shed pretty for newly feathered chickens - check!
* ridiculously underestimated amount of time set aside for said shed to become coop and run - check!
* wonderfully supportive group of on line folks to run to every time one of the fluffy chicks/feathered chickens does something odd or cute or funny or scary or nasty or weird - check!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Wow... TOTALLY organized. I am so impressed.
bow.gif

So here's 'the plan'. We'll be arriving in a pickup with one of those shells over the bed. I'm bringing a friend who thinks she's along for the ride..actually she's an extra set of hands to tote things.
clap.gif

I'm hoping to pick up maybe a dozen chicks. I hadn't considered having to provide food and water between leaving the swap and getting home.. it's only about 90mins. but I just checked and the little 1qt water er that I have fits nicely inside my big carrier and I think that I can set it up to hang. (Won't it just slosh around and soak everyone???) Food will either have to wait or be in a small crock dish.
Can I carry chicks from one booth to another in a little carrier? I would hate to keep taking them to the truck 1 or 2 at a time.. and if it's really warm that day.. the back of the truck will get HOT. I'm not sure what good 'swap manners' would be. I wouldn't want to make anyone mad by bringing my chicks around their birds ... How does that work??
hu.gif

I'm going to pick up the brooder from a friend next weekend so it will be all set up and ready before I leave home that morning.
I'm probably obsessing about this but I've been waiting for these chicks for years and I SO want it to be a pleasant experience - for all of us.
* carriers (3) - check!
* food & water - check!
* food and water dishes - only have one set.. will have to pick up a few more waterers between now and then - gonna need them anyway.
* bag of shavings for bedding - check!
* baby wipes and hand sanitizer - check!
* someone to drag me to the truck and drive off with me before I get tooo carried away - check!
* brooder box w/all equip. from chicken-experienced friend - check!
* shed on the way to be coop once fluffy chicks become feathered chickens - check!
* poles / wire / roofing for run to be attached once the shed arrives - check!
* paint to make old grey shed pretty for newly feathered chickens - check!
* ridiculously underestimated amount of time set aside for said shed to become coop and run - check!
* wonderfully supportive group of on line folks to run to every time one of the fluffy chicks/feathered chickens does something odd or cute or funny or scary or nasty or weird - check!
thumbsup.gif
you'd be surprised how long you wander around, talk, look, go back and look at something else again, get sidetracked with this and that... LOL
i don't provide food/water when i'm moving, but most birds are roused pretty early and stuffed in cages, then transported to the sale where they sit for even longer, again without food or water... for chicks that's not such a good idea. so by providing a bit of water/food before they travel, they'll be happier. i live far enough out, because of winding back roads, that any travel is going to add 30-45 minutes easily, plus the time it took to catch/pack anyone going to a sale. IF i make Gilmanor, that's a 3+ hour ride for me. (not counting coffee stops) so if it starts at 8, i have to leave the house by 5 to get there, which means packing everyone up probably the night before...

sounds like the rest is under control (yeah right?) as for carrying chicks around, some do, some don't... i don't worry as long as they don't try to interact. once the bird and money change hands, they can do what they want. it's not my bird anymore at that point.

but also consider how heavy that crate/chicks is going to get after lugging it around for however long it takes to check out everything. if you've got something with wheels, i might recommend it. or maybe a soft-sided carrier, large tote bag, or something similar. (if they've got wing feathers, they WILL jump out if the top's open - don't ask how I know this. LOL) or else leave the back of the truck as wide open as you can if it's warm, and make sure they have water when you leave them.

good luck. 8)

Greetings, fellow Virginians. I am new to the site, and making the suggested rounds. This thread is definitely something I won't be able to work my way through, as it has been around for 5+ years :eek:) I did post in the newbie section introducing myself, so I'll spare the details here. Looking forward to figuring this all out.

just thought i'd put up a note here, if anyone's interested in coturnix quail, i'm getting out of them. i need the pen space way more for chicks than the quail, hubby won't eat em (hates picking bones LOL) and the only ones that likes the eggs are my dogs apparently.

i'll be taking 10 to the roanoke swap tomorrow, and have 20 more that need to go as well. more hens than roos, 7 are 4 months old, the rest are about 2 months old. they start laying at 6 weeks usually, but mine are a bit crowded at the moment and the dogs keep spazzing them, so eggs are sporadic right now. but i need them gone asap or else they go to camp kenmore.

if you are interested drop me a PM.

I've never been to a chicken swap before.

lau.gif
newbie!! she has never been to a swap before, what rock have you been under? O wait I have never been before also
he.gif
I don't want to go now
hide.gif
How many times will I be told "No you don't need them, you have too many at home now"
lau.gif

and yes I was just playing with canesisters
smile.png

Greetings, fellow Virginians. I am new to the site, and making the suggested rounds. This thread is definitely something I won't be able to work my way through, as it has been around for 5+ years :eek:) I did post in the newbie section introducing myself, so I'll spare the details here. Looking forward to figuring this all out.

welcome-byc.gif
and if you need help ask away EVERYONE was new at one time, I still am new lol

Northern VA in Leesburg.

Doing more chicken research, today....looking at this one:

- AMERAUCANAS

I'm eggless and eager to get started, but trying to avoid making any rookie mistakes. The local TSC was selling chics, and I went by today to see what breeds they had just to do some research, and they were no longer selling anything.

Did I miss my window for getting started? Am I going to have to find someone getting rid of chickens, or is buying through the mail a good alternative to picking up locally?

Back
Top Bottom