Virginia

I have lots of silkie chicks,paints,blues, and splash.I was wondering if I should take them to Gilmanor.Need to start culling and keep just what I need for showing and breeding . I love growing them out though :)
Almost ready to turn off the incubator until Feb.

Last edited:
After much thought on how I could get my own home-raised birds vaccinated for Marek's I've decided to host a vaccine clinic. Marek's disease is an airborne disease that all chickens, turkeys, quail, and pheasants are susceptible to. You can get birds vaccinated at the hatchery, but if you raise them yourself you don't have that chance. To complicate matters further the vaccine only comes in a 1,000 dose vial that has to be used within a few hours of opening it. So in order to get my own birds vaccinated and give everybody else a chance to get their birds vaccinated I'm holding a clinic. It's September 20th from 3pm to 6pm at the Buckingham extension office and you can pre-register by calling 434-969-4261. Full details are in the file below.

ki4got will you be going to the Gillmanor swap in Glen Allen? I am assuming you still have the crele oegb for sale? From what I see in that picture that looks very nice, assumign that the sickle feather and the other tail feather are so white because of molting. I also raise crele oegb up near Staunton.
i will be going to gilmanor, but hadn't planned on selling anything, just shopping.

but if someone's interested, you could paypal me and i could bring them and meet you there. (i'm selling them as a group, not by pair/trio)

and yes, he moulted that feather as well and has a whole tail coming in nicely now. as for why it's so white, i honestly don't know, but would probably say nutrition problems from the previous owner... i've had him now just about 6 weeks. got him and 3 pullets to go between the crele and my blue-gold crele roo, the pullets were near starvation IMO, they were so thin... but they're all nice and rounded now. as much as i love the crele, I've just decided that I don't need to be adding another breed to my (too few) breeding pens. they're taking over 1 right now (all 5 get along great) but that's not a problem short term, as everyone else is free ranging until i decide who gets the breeding pens this go-round. (and hubby helps me band the older pullets i'm keeping).

Last edited:
Hi all! Just started my chicken adventure this summer, and already working on my 2nd coop. XD I try to plan ahead on most things, and I'd really like to try meat birds to provide for my family. The problem is, I can't seem to find anyone that will process them! I've sent out emails, asked around, put an ad on craigslist...nothing. I'm in Shenandoah County, and I'd be willing to drive an hour or two in any direction, if only I could find someone! Does anyone know of any place that will process chickens? Everyone is more than willing to process deer/pigs/cow here, but not poultry. :( I won't even order meaties until I have someone lined up, it'd just be a shame to never try them though.

Hi all! Just started my chicken adventure this summer, and already working on my 2nd coop. XD I try to plan ahead on most things, and I'd really like to try meat birds to provide for my family. The problem is, I can't seem to find anyone that will process them! I've sent out emails, asked around, put an ad on craigslist...nothing. I'm in Shenandoah County, and I'd be willing to drive an hour or two in any direction, if only I could find someone! Does anyone know of any place that will process chickens? Everyone is more than willing to process deer/pigs/cow here, but not poultry. :( I won't even order meaties until I have someone lined up, it'd just be a shame to never try them though.
i 'disassemble' all my own birds... i don't pluck though, i peel. much easier that way.

Welcome, Siras!

Smells like DIY is not an option for you?
sickbyc.gif

It's really not that bad, and there are some good how-to links on here....

Welcome, Siras!

Smells like DIY is not an option for you?
sickbyc.gif

It's really not that bad, and there are some good how-to links on here....
At this point in time DIY is not an option, not only from the feeling bad standpoint but also because we have absolutely none of the equipment we need. I have been watching the videos and reading the how-to guides just in case I ever have to, I think they are pretty fascinating! But I'd much rather pay someone else to do it. =P

Back
Top Bottom