Virginia

That was our method growing up, though I don't ever remember them gutting the birds. Only remember them taking the legs off, fleshing the breast meat and wing off and tossing the carcass into a fire. Then again that was 25 or so years ago, memory that can be faulty at best :)

That was our method growing up, though I don't ever remember them gutting the birds. Only remember them taking the legs off, fleshing the breast meat and wing off and tossing the carcass into a fire. Then again that was 25 or so years ago, memory that can be faulty at best :)
well, if all you're keeping is breast, leg quarters and wings, there would be no reason to clean the rest... but my dogs eat raw, so i toss everything inedible, keep the breast meat for peoples and the dogs share the rest. well for chickens at least. the quail don't get portioned out, one quail = 1 meal for dogs, 2 for peoples.

just an update, i've sold all my oegb today... was planning to take them to the christiansburg swap next week. now i'll have to find something else to take.

i'm running out of birds to sell.

guess that means i need to start hatching some more.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Anyone in SW VA (Roanoke, Blacksburg, Radford area) have any fertile eggs? My banty has gone broody and the kids would love to see her hatch some chicks. She keeps trying to lay on the other girls eggs or the plastic eggs I have in the nesting boxes. Thought I might check around to see if anyone had just 2 eggs that I could have or pay a very small amount for. I do not need anymore chickens and would have to give these away if she hatched any.

Anyone in SW VA (Roanoke, Blacksburg, Radford area) have any fertile eggs? My banty has gone broody and the kids would love to see her hatch some chicks. She keeps trying to lay on the other girls eggs or the plastic eggs I have in the nesting boxes. Thought I might check around to see if anyone had just 2 eggs that I could have or pay a very small amount for. I do not need anymore chickens and would have to give these away if she hatched any.
ask and ye shall receive?

wink.png
if you want to hatch i'll take them back willingly enough. drop me a PM...

you might contact the virginia poultry breeders assoc. just google them for the website.

tom roebuck does the newsletter i think and is also a judge and byc member... i met him at a show several months ago to pick up a cochin girl from him.

@manaze88Were you able to find a home for your handsome boy? I live a little west of you and am hoping one of my 15 girls is maybe a boy : ) So far, I'm thinking I have hens. How would that work out though? What kind of mayhem will ensue if you introduce just one chicken? Is it like with females, or does the Roo just jump to the top of the pecking order? As you can tell- I haven't had experience with roosters : )
D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom