Virginia

i'm not sure what a 4-up brooder is? can you be more specific? I do some custom woodworking now and then, maybe I can come up with a design for you.
If you go to browerequip.com and search "chick and quail brooder" you'll see what I'm looking for. But not at that price, LOL.

Quote: wow... i don't work with sheet metal so that's a bit beyond me. LOL

my own brooder is 3-high, made from wood (ply, 1x2 and 1x3), with plastic coated floor. brooders are not attached to the shelf unit so can be moved as needed (i take one to the swaps now and then with chicks).

doors are removable on pivot hinges, the top shelf is 6' high, and each brooder measures just under 2'x4'x18" (allowing for space to fit on the shelf).

i'm actually going to do away with the bottom brooder, as it's too hard for me to kneel to do anything with it. instead it is going to be my quail breeding cage, once i get the wire to build it with. (with pull out tray and sloped floor for egg collection.) then that brooder will be my 'portable' one... tho i wouldn't want to move it often. they are about 30 pounds each or so. plus chicks/bedding/etc.

Siras,

I know this post is 2 weeks old but I thought I would suggest contacting the "Church's Chicken Processing Plant" on Rt42 in Woodstock. Not sure if they would process yours or not but it may be worth a try. I too live in Shenandoah County, (Maurertown), and the plant is roughly 8 miles from me.
Thanks I'll look into it. Still haven't found anyone. :(

wow... i don't work with sheet metal so that's a bit beyond me. LOL

my own brooder is 3-high, made from wood (ply, 1x2 and 1x3), with plastic coated floor. brooders are not attached to the shelf unit so can be moved as needed (i take one to the swaps now and then with chicks).

doors are removable on pivot hinges, the top shelf is 6' high, and each brooder measures just under 2'x4'x18" (allowing for space to fit on the shelf).

i'm actually going to do away with the bottom brooder, as it's too hard for me to kneel to do anything with it. instead it is going to be my quail breeding cage, once i get the wire to build it with. (with pull out tray and sloped floor for egg collection.) then that brooder will be my 'portable' one... tho i wouldn't want to move it often. they are about 30 pounds each or so. plus chicks/bedding/etc.
Wow, that's quite impressive. I'm only 5' tall, tho, and 6' is too high for me to deal with comfortably. It does give me ideas..... thanks for the picture.

Quote: actually, the TOP of the unit is 6'... the top shelf is at about 4.5' with the bottom of the door right at 5'... i keep a step stool in front of it for easier access for short visitors. (mominlaw for one). but a 2-brooder unit would be easy enough, add some legs (8-10") to raise up the bottom shelf and eliminate the top section.

like i said, i do some custom work, if anyone's interested. PM me with what you want and i can come up with an estimate.

I'm all set for Gilmanor this saturday. I'm bringing a german new hampshire trio.A RIR trio. Some Roy Autrey line RIR chicks. Jeremy Woepel line barred rocks. 4 delaware hens and 2 roos. And 4 mutt bantams, as well as some German New Hampshire hatching eggs. I'll be looking for a bantam barred rock rooster and a buff brahma rooster and/or pullets or hatching eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom