visibility of barring on lavender

Yes it will show but I'll let an expert help you out.
@ChicKat
Show her some chick pics.
" your wish is my command..." ;)
Here's lavender barred -- on chicks 2 and 3 weeks old:
P1060909.JPG

Very visible on the middle 2-week old.
P1060907.JPG

Here's a 3-week old, notice on the upper back where the back and neck meet and the back where the back and tail meet.
On hatch day -- these boys had head spots.
Their plumage is wild type + barring.
It will be interesting to see your progress in this project.
:thumbsup
ETA - all these boys have 2 barring genes not only 1.

Last edited:
Hmm, if I can't tell easily if they are single barred it may not work out after all. I guess I'll have to find out the hard way. ;) Thank you for the photos!

You asked at "a reasonably young age"
I would think you could tell the barred males from non barred females within a few weeks so I think it would work out.
If not double up the barring so pullets have one copy and the males two and see if that works any better.

Hmm, if I can't tell easily if they are single barred it may not work out after all. I guess I'll have to find out the hard way. ;) Thank you for the photos!

This may help a little
1. If the hen is barred, and the male is double barred, all the chicks will replicate the parent barring.
2. Double barred males in some lines of chickens, like Barred-Plymoth-Rocks - have a white head dot.. (there is a BYC article about autosexing them based on head dot-- but that's outside my experience and I don't think from the photos, I would have been able to autosex them.) If your barred adults have head dots as chicks, maybe your lavender chicks would too.

Check out post #2 in this thread from BYC
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/barred-plymouth-rock-sexing.867916/#post-13126318

Not knowing if BPR is your source of barring, but perhaps other breeds with barring are the same.
Good luck with your project.

Back
Top Bottom