Visible eye worms in month old baby chicken :(

None, other than what you posted (that I had seen before) and what BYC member Pine Grove stated years ago about Valbazen treating eyeworm as stated above in my post (50/50 mixture in eye.)
If anyone knows, he would.:bow
Okay, sorry, :oops:, I am confused. Should one use a 50/50 solution or a 2.5% solution?I think I need more coffee. :D

@dawg53, I will defer to you on this. I haven't a clue.

Just use the regular valbazen 11.36%...50/50 water/albendazole mixture.
valbazen.jpg

Just for anyone who might read this in the future: what I ended up doing was following the advice of the owner of a feed store who's been working with chickens for 50 years... One CC/ml Ivermectin to Thee CC/ml sterilized water, put into a small container and mixed, then drawn into a syringe and put lovingly into the eyes of the sweet chickens (needle removed!) 2-3 drops per eye in each chicken for 3 days - and the worms should die by then. The chickens took it really well and I feel it was a good decision to treat all of them as I've seen all of them eating the surinam cockroaches. I plan to remove all items in their coop on the ground (as the bugs hide under them) and remove all yard debris around their coop as this is where they like to hang out. Supposedly the Ivermectin eye treatment works to de-worm them as well and would kill any mites that bite them! I may use valbazen as a treatment for the water I give to all the wild chickens & birds around here as well in the near future, so as to help treat them as they more than likely have the worms as well.
@ChickenMama308 how did it all go?
I have a chick who has been closing her eye the last two days but she got scolded by one of the old biddies so I figured she was pecked and just needed time to heal. But this eve when sending girls off to bed I noticed one of my old biddies had a closed eye too and another wiping her face. They freerange and we are in the tropics and have choke ground roaches. I will check them all over in the morning.

Aloha @TropicalBabies !

It would be helpful for you to pick them up and inspect them as much as possible - sometimes they have worms and you can't see them, but eventually you will if they do. The issue with eye worms is that if they scratch at their eyes they can get them infected!

I see you are in Kauai, so it is very likely your little ones will get eye worms too (I am in Oahu!) - if you notice those roaches that are the carriers of this worm, your chickens are bound to get eye worms! These bugs hide under anything on the ground, i.e. pieces of wood etc., and if you have trash laying around they'll likely hang out around there.

Now that time has passed, I can say all my chickens have had eye worms multiple times and I've come to accept that I won't be able to prevent it from happening entirely. I treat them maybe 2-3x a year, or as needed, with Ivermectin. I have the injectable liquid, and with a syringe, I first draw in 3 cc/ml of distilled (clean) water into the syringe, and then draw in 1 cc/ml of ivermectin. From this solution, I remove the needle of the syringe, get my partner to hold the chicken, and drip 1-3 drops in each eye for 1-3 days, depending on how many worms I am seeing. For the chicks, I'd say 1-2 drops in each eye, for 2-3 days. It's actually much easier than it sounds! Just make sure they are held well. I believe this de-worms them internally, as well :) If you want to eat their eggs one day, I would look into how long you should stay away from eating them. I no longer eat my chickens eggs so I don't even think about it any more!

Good luck and I hope they find some relief!!! Let me know :)

@ChickenMama308 how did it all go?
I have a chick who has been closing her eye the last two days but she got scolded by one of the old biddies so I figured she was pecked and just needed time to heal. But this eve when sending girls off to bed I noticed one of my old biddies had a closed eye too and another wiping her face. They freerange and we are in the tropics and have choke ground roaches. I will check them all over in the morning.

Aloha @TropicalBabies !

It would be helpful for you to pick them up and inspect them as much as possible - sometimes they have worms and you can't see them, but eventually you will if they do. The issue with eye worms is that if they scratch at their eyes they can get them infected!

I see you are in Kauai, so it is very likely your little ones will get eye worms too (I am in Oahu!) - if you notice those roaches that are the carriers of this worm, your chickens are bound to get eye worms! These bugs hide under anything on the ground, i.e. pieces of wood etc., and if you have trash laying around they'll likely hang out around there.

Now that time has passed, I can say all my chickens have had eye worms multiple times and I've come to accept that I won't be able to prevent it from happening entirely. I treat them maybe 2-3x a year, or as needed, with Ivermectin. I have the injectable liquid, and with a syringe, I first draw in 3 cc/ml of distilled (clean) water into the syringe, and then draw in 1 cc/ml of ivermectin. From this solution, I remove the needle of the syringe, get my partner to hold the chicken, and drip 1-3 drops in each eye for 1-3 days, depending on how many worms I am seeing. For the chicks, I'd say 1-2 drops in each eye, for 2-3 days. It's actually much easier than it sounds! Just make sure they are held well. I believe this de-worms them internally, as well :) If you want to eat their eggs one day, I would look into how long you should stay away from eating them. I no longer eat my chickens eggs so I don't even think about it any more!

Good luck and I hope they find some relief!!! Let me know :)
Awesome!!! Big mahalos!!! @ChickenMama308
Been trying to connect with some locals. Seems everyone ebbs and flows on BYC. Life. Why don't you eat your eggs any more?!! :D Still have chickens yes?

Awesome!!! Big mahalos!!! @ChickenMama308
Been trying to connect with some locals. Seems everyone ebbs and flows on BYC. Life. Why don't you eat your eggs any more?!! :D Still have chickens yes?

Yes, I still have chickens, but the whole reason I got into raising them was because I rescued a wild baby chick and picked up a couple more from the hatchery so they had a little flock to grow up with, plus there's plenty wild chickens that roam my yard :) and many babies have been raised! I was eating their eggs for a while, but once they graduated from the coop (they are 100% free range now, and sleep in the trees) they eventually started laying in different places that I can't keep track of anymore haha. Also, I have bad allergies in general and have decided to cut out dairy for a while as supposedly that can be helpful :)

Those orphan chicks are sneaky like that lol. Well, I hope your allergies subside and you reclaim your eggs. Mahalo for the info. I purchased Oxy Rid from one of our local feed stores, girls don't like it much but results are fantastic.Stay well, I'm following you now :)

Back
Top Bottom