Visit to turkey farm

Driscoll (sp) Farm near Sonora in California free ranges their turkeys and they have a lot of repeat customers. The quality of their turkeys is excellent. I love their advertising. Their advertising states that "Our turkeys have a great life except for one very bad day". And they are right. I have seen the farm. Their turkeys do have a great life. Except for that one very bad day.

Quote:
You are right, of course, about those turkeys being the same. It isn't that I think no animal died, it's that I didn't have to see it alive before it died. It's really just how I am. We had a pig roast earlier this fall and I bought the pig from a local farmer who had it butchered for me. His wife had me pegged immediately and told him to stop calling the pig by name around me. LOL... When he was on the grill he was no longer Buddy.

Isn't it wonderful that we can all discuss a topic and have such varied opinions?! This forum is so great.

The turkey farm is called Maple Lawn Farm (they have a website) and it is really a very nice place. The turkeys looked healthy and content and I'm sure they lived well there, except as the previous poster said, for that one really bad day. There was no panic among them.
smile.png
As I said, I have had turkeys from there before and they were all delicious. But not this year.... next year I will wait till Tuesday.
smile.png

I think it is great that you went to the turkey farm, and that you feel a sense of remorse. It shows "humanity" .......BUT...I don't think that it should but you off of turkey for Thanksgiving (or Christmas, or any other day). Like on the "Lion King" it is all a part of the great circle of life.
wink.png
This is just my opinion, so please don't take offense. I am not judging you for your opinion.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thank you for giving your thoughts so diplomatically.
hugs.gif
I definitely do not feel judged or offended. I am sure that I'll be cooking a turkey, probably sooner than I think. My family vetoed the idea of ham on Thanksgiving. Too much Norman Rockwell growing up!
lol.png
Since my married son and his family are going to his mother-in-law's this year, I think a turkey breast will be plenty for the rest of the family and I will put the visual of all those pretty white turkeys out of my head forever. The Lion King circle of life is true, thanks for the perspective.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom