Visiting chicken from the neighborhood: hen or cockerel?

Id try to see where she is roosting at night (probably not in a safe place) best to catch her there.
Give her a good tub bath to clean her bottom up.
Quarentine her for a while and keep her.
Yes, she will add a daily white egg to your flocks brown eggs.
She has obvisously chosen you. Who knows why she abandoned her previous flock and situation.

So, a bit of an update.

The neighbor came to take her back. She didn't want to give her to me, even in exchange of some weekly eggs (She has her own flock at home, which is not on the same land than the barn. The barn is a lease). She told me that her last flock was bullying her very badly. She was not eating/drinking anymore. So they took her on her own to their barn, where there is no other chicken.

The lady was very surprised that she was so well integrated already in my flock. She's sleeping in the barn and laying an egg every morning over there. Then she does the journey through the field to come in my backyard.

Its a very old lehgorn apparently, still laying. Her name is Georgette. She said if it's not a bother, she would let her roam, so she'll most certainly be back in my yard again. (Anyway Georgette obviously doesn't need her permission lol. She was looking for her yesterday, a bit worried that an animal ate her. Of course, she was here).

She was a bit of an eccentric (in a weird way). Maybe I'll be able to appeal to her if that chicken is always with my flock in the next couple of weeks.

I'm actually a bit sad that I couldn't keep her. I told her that her hen needs a flock, they are gregarious animals. No luck.

I would. I will try. However, when she told me about the how and the why she was alone in the barn, the lady mentioned that she wanted to keep her even with all the bullying. This is why she rehomed her in the barn and didn't give her away.

I'll see what I can do for her during the summer. Maybe I'll be able to convince her. Arguably, Georgette will probably be often around. Maybe if she sees that the hen is really seeking interaction with her own kind she will waver. I hope so!

I would. I will try. However, when she told me about the how and the why she was alone in the barn, the lady mentioned that she wanted to keep her even with all the bullying. This is why she rehomed her in the barn and didn't give her away.

I'll see what I can do for her during the summer. Maybe I'll be able to convince her. Arguably, Georgette will probably be often around. Maybe if she sees that the hen is really seeking interaction with her own kind she will waver. I hope so!
Maybe she could bring one other bird over to stay with this single?

Back
Top Bottom