Vitamin b deficiency or Mareks

When do you’s think I should reintroduce her to the flock ? I was thinking about giving her another 2 or three weeks but I’m worried about her gaining all that weight and hardly getting any execerise in that small shed Ive been keeping her in. I have been taking her out into a small pen that I used for ducklings at the beginning of last year. She does move slowly around it eating the grass.:)
D4302E02-0A19-4FCD-B36B-F85884CB7637.jpeg
3FBD9EE7-4E8A-4F8A-AB94-257B27E1DCFB.jpeg
0CECC147-A1E3-4BEE-8173-6661952ECB21.jpeg

I’m also thinking that I’ve only been giving her the proper care for this for just over a week. Christmas was in the way before so I didn’t really have the time, and she does seem to of made a slight improvement in just over a week.
If you compare the video of her trying to walk a week ago to now.

A week ago

Now

The longer she is separated, the harder it will be to re-introduce her. Do you have a large dog crate that you can put her and her own food and water inside, to keep her inside the coop and wherever the flock goes? Then after a week or so, try letting them out together in the yard for supervised visits until they leave her alone. Since she has problems walking, they still may bother her. I have fenced off part of my coop with netting to separate new chickens. It all depends on how large your coop is.

When do you’s think I should reintroduce her to the flock ? I was thinking about giving her another 2 or three weeks but I’m worried about her gaining all that weight and hardly getting any execerise in that small shed Ive been keeping her in. I have been taking her out into a small pen that I used for ducklings at the beginning of last year. She does move slowly around it eating the grass.:)

I’m also thinking that I’ve only been giving her the proper care for this for just over a week. Christmas was in the way before so I didn’t really have the time, and she does seem to of made a slight improvement in just over a week.
If you compare the video of her trying to walk a week ago to now.

A week ago

Now
I think she is improving a little!
I agree with Eggcessive, caging her next to the flock, fencing a portion of the run or coop so she can be beside them is a good idea.
After she has been near them try it with them all together (supervised of course).

Thank you for the videos and update. Please keep us posted.

If what ever she has is contagious the other birds would have it by now, right ? And they don’t so it’s fine to let them near eachother? Just making sure...
I do have a dog crate for her.
I’ve put her in the duckling pen again today, I’ll try putting her in a dog crate around the other hens tomorrow.
C1F61514-69AF-4296-AF68-BC3B01F6D2D1.jpeg

If her problem is caused by Mareks disease, they most certainly would have been exposed at the same time she was. But since her problem is still unknown, I cannot see a reason to keep her away from being with her flock. You may never know what has caused her leg problems unless you get a necropsy some day by your state vet. Some many things can cause difficulty walking. Please keep us informed on how she is getting along.

Back
Top Bottom