Vitamin Deficiency

Chickengirls95

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2022
On November 17th a hen I had got recently stopped being able to walk. I had only had her 12 days prior to this. She came from a family member and seemed overall healthy besides her comb not being bright or standing. Before I got her, her sisters died almost 2 years prior to animal attacks. Shortly after that they stopped feeding her chicken food and fed her cat food some and she was left to fend for herself. She has also not laid an egg since shortly after they stopped giving her chicken food. This is why I believe it's a vitamin deficiency. She has been eating a mixture of raw eggs, 20% protein food with water and hydro hen. She has been getting poltury cell almost daily and vitamin B extract. She does seem to be holding herself up better and is trying to stand, but is wobbly and looses her balance. About how long should it take for her to start walking or how and when should I know for sure that it is a vitamin deficiency and not something else. She also got duramycin shots for 6 days and I just gave her dewormer today. Just looking for things I should be looking for to know if I should keep going or not. She is also keeping her toes curled a lot and laying with her leg out which I think may be from her losing balance and giving up sometimes.

Last edited:
Cut out the raw egg, it's too much fat for right now. She might not be laying due to winter break and the change if environment. Has she been vaccinated for mareks? How do her eyes look?

Cut out the raw egg, it's too much fat for right now. She might not be laying due to winter break and the change if environment. Has she been vaccinated for mareks? How do her eyes look?
Ok I will stop with the eggs. She hasn't laid an egg in almost 2 years since her sisters died and they stopped feeding her. I asked her previous owner and he said he wasn't sure, but that she came from an online hatchery. So idk if they normally vaccinate or not.

Attachments

• inbound8336465190922744630.jpg
    inbound8336465190922744630.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
She could have a vitamin or mineral deficiency, but Mareks might also be on the list of possibilities. I would continue to treat her with a balanced chicken feed diet, and give her 1/2 tablet daily of human B complex tablet crushed into food or a little water for a few weeks. Can you post a picture of how she lays?

Poor little girl!! I don’t have much advice to help but I sure hope you can get help on here! I’m sure you will though!

On November 17th a hen I had got recently stopped being able to walk. I had only had her 12 days prior to this.
When you brought her home, did you introduce her to an existing flock, keep her quarantined in a cage or?

She also got duramycin shots for 6 days and I just gave her dewormer today.
You have given duramycin for? A suspected infection, where? Where did you inject the medication - breast muscle/thigh/leg?
Did she stop walking after the injections?

What dewormer and dose? Do you suspect or see worms?

She has been eating a mixture of raw eggs, 20% protein food with water and hydro hen. She has been getting poltury cell almost daily and vitamin B extract. She does seem to be holding herself up better and is trying to stand, but is wobbly and looses her balance. About how long should it take for her to start walking or how and when should I know for sure that it is a vitamin deficiency and not something else. She also got duramycin shots for 6 days and I just gave her dewormer today.
Do you have photos of the back of her comb and other side of her face/comb?
I see some scabbing on the back of the comb, she was by herself?
Photos of the feet and legs?

When you brought her home, did you introduce her to an existing flock, keep her quarantined in a cage or?

You have given duramycin for? A suspected infection, where? Where did you inject the medication - breast muscle/thigh/leg?

When I brought her home she was introduced to the flock for a second time. She was originally brought over 5 months prior while I was at work but my chickens were only 3 1/2 months old at the time and I figured she would kill them so I said she couldn't stay. She does have some scabs on her comb but those were there when I got her. When I introduced them they all did fine and she preferred being by herself and they left her alone.

She got duramycin because of her poop. We were not sure if it was possibly lash egg. I will attach a picture. She did it twice but hasn't done it since.

I was told to give her dewormer just to help rule every option out basically. I used zimectrin gold paste and 1/10 of a ml I was scared I may give her to much. She has had diarrhea pretty much since I have got her. I posted the best picture I have of her comb but can get another tomorrow.

Attachments

• inbound3491637763092728546.jpg
    inbound3491637763092728546.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 10
  • inbound4575671302494064291.jpg
    inbound4575671302494064291.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 7
  • inbound6095060208912265258.jpg
    inbound6095060208912265258.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
She could have a vitamin or mineral deficiency, but Mareks might also be on the list of possibilities. I would continue to treat her with a balanced chicken feed diet, and give her 1/2 tablet daily of human B complex tablet crushed into food or a little water for a few weeks. Can you post a picture of how she lays?
She lays like this sometimes or she lays on top of her feet. It seems like when she falls a couple times she just gives up for a little while and will lay like this.

Attachments

• 20221125_110343.jpg
    20221125_110343.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221125_124806.jpg
    20221125_124806.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 7
When I brought her home she was introduced to the flock for a second time. She was originally brought over 5 months prior while I was at work but my chickens were only 3 1/2 months old at the time and I figured she would kill them so I said she couldn't stay. She does have some scabs on her comb but those were there when I got her. When I introduced them they all did fine and she preferred being by herself and they left her alone.

She got duramycin because of her poop. We were not sure if it was possibly lash egg. I will attach a picture. She did it twice but hasn't done it since.

I was told to give her dewormer just to help rule every option out basically. I used zimectrin gold paste and 1/10 of a ml I was scared I may give her to much. She has had diarrhea pretty much since I have got her. I posted the best picture I have of her comb but can get

Zimectrin Gold will treat Tapeworms, but not any of types of worms that poultry can have.
Dose is 0.06ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Hard to know what's going on with her. If it's stress, Marek's, injury or something else.

I'd work on hydration, getting B-Vitamins into her and her eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed.

Back
Top Bottom