vitamins and galvanized waterers

It seems like they're drinking the same amount as before, perhaps even more since they are mostly eating dry feed now, with only small amounts of fermented mash morning and afternoon, whereas in the summer and early fall they were eating only mash, which is higher in moisture.

Perhaps someone else will be able to chime in on the quality of galvanized waterers. Up until a few months ago, we were using old waterers that we'd borrowed from friends and they were already rusty and beat-up when we got them. Finally got our own brand-new ones so we'll have to see how they hold up.

Anyone know if it's safe to add a chicken-specific vitamin supplement to galvanized metal waterers? It seems to be reacting with the metal and causing a rust-like patina; I'm guessing this is due to the iron in the supplement.

Not sure, but I'll say the galvanized drinkers I used to use for my pigeons were all destroyed by the same type of rust you are speaking of, likely due to the fact that I treat all my water with apple cider vinegar. I believe the acidity in the ACV caused it, and the same effect is possible with any supplement depending on acidity. Once my drinkers started to rust, they were basically useless since the rust just continued. Had to toss them. Total waste.

I've just found this thread through a search for waterers going rusty... I bought a double-walled galvanized steel waterer from TSC in March, and just noticed it's got rust inside at the entry/exit hole! All I've ever used is water, except one day I did mix in a prebiotic - probiotic powder mix (no vitamins) because I'd dewormed them. I have only used dishsoap to wash it. - Although I actually may have used Oxine once, to clean it more thoroughly... That might have done it. :rolleyes: Prior to that time, I'd been using a large plastic waterer, but I bought this to use with a light bulb water heater contraption during our extended freezing temperatures. Ugh! :he $$$ More to shell out for an unexpected expense $$ :tongue

...On top of it, after I'd bought it, I saw pics of people's light bulb water heater contraptions using a plastic waterer (which probably makes sense, since the heater doesn't actually get all that hot)!
But since TSC boasts about their double-walled steel waterer keeping water cool, I think I ought to get a replacement for these 100 degree summer temps. :mad: Many days I could run out there and replace the water for cool, or add ice, as needed, but not every day.

I bought a double-walled galvanized steel waterer from TSC in March, and just noticed it's got rust inside at the entry/exit hole!
Can you take a pix of that rust. I'm interested if it is rust, or just slight oxidation of the zinc that is actual coating to prevent the steel from rusting.
The logical reason for some slight rust at an opening, is because the opening exposes the edge of steel that is not coated. These items are made from galvanized sheet metal. When they are cut into pieces to make the item, the edges are exposed steel with no coating.
More important items that need to be MORE rust resistant, are HOT DIPPED GALVANIZED, after they are totally assembled. A process only for heavy duty outdoor applications.

Can you take a pix of that rust. I'm interested if it is rust, or just slight oxidation of the zinc that is actual coating to prevent the steel from rusting.
The logical reason for some slight rust at an opening, is because the opening exposes the edge of steel that is not coated. These items are made from galvanized sheet metal. When they are cut into pieces to make the item, the edges are exposed steel with no coating.
More important items that need to be MORE rust resistant, are HOT DIPPED GALVANIZED, after they are totally assembled. A process only for heavy duty outdoor applications.
Unfortunately, as I'm taking photos now, I see that there's also rust elsewhere inside this waterer: 20190718_230053.jpg 20190718_230031.jpg 20190718_230042.jpg

Not much you can do as prevention, but you can clean the rust out and keep using the waterer.
Here is a link to a few methods of cleaning rust from metal. Not all of those there would be good for your product. I think the easy vinegar, and baking soda methods should be good. You would want to avoid some of the other methods that use chemicals or petroleum.
Here is link to that article.
https://m.wikihow.com/Remove-Rust-from-Metal

Thank you. I'll definitely try it. I would love to not have to shell out for a new one just yet, as long as it's safe.
It's crazy how the flash on my camera in two of those pictures casts a huge rust-colored shadow. There's definitely rust sprinkled throughout but it doesn't look like that.

Back
Top Bottom