vitamins and galvanized waterers

Sep 20, 2017
Washington State
Anyone know if it's safe to add a chicken-specific vitamin supplement to galvanized metal waterers? It seems to be reacting with the metal and causing a rust-like patina; I'm guessing this is due to the iron in the supplement.

If the vitamin is chicken specific, it MOST LIKELY does not contain iron. Other vitamins like Vitamin.C can be derived from citric type fruits/vegetables that are acidic in nature. It may be that, which is reacting with the zinc.
Simply use a plastic container when administering the vitamins.
If you are giving vitamins constantly, you may need to re-evaluate that.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

This particular formula (Rooster Booster Poultry Cell) does contain iron. We're giving vitamins daily at the moment but plan to only do this through the end of molting season, or possibly through the harshest days of winter, not year round.

Thanks for the heads-up! I don't use apple cider vinegar in our chickens' water. I knew it wouldn't be a good idea to use something acidic with metal waterers, and I'm not 100% sold on the benefits of ACV for chickens anyway.

If you are noticing deposits on the waterer or a breakdown of the waterer in any way I would stop putting those additives/vitamins in that waterer. I'm sure there is a variety of stuff in the vitamins and something is clearly causing a reaction with the galvanized waterer. It's hard to know exactly what it is and what by-products it may be leaching into the drinking water; it may or may not be safe for the chickens to continue to drink that water. I would switch to plastic/rubber at least through the treatment time.

If you are noticing deposits on the waterer or a breakdown of the waterer in any way I would stop putting those additives/vitamins in that waterer. I'm sure there is a variety of stuff in the vitamins and something is clearly causing a reaction with the galvanized waterer. It's hard to know exactly what it is and what by-products it may be leaching into the drinking water; it may or may not be safe for the chickens to continue to drink that water. I would switch to plastic/rubber at least through the treatment time.

Good idea; I'll pick up a plastic waterer to use for now.

To respond to another comment, we're just supplementing vitamins while our chickens are molting (some are going through a very hard molt) and adjusting to the colder weather. And, our rooster appears to have picked up a chronic mycoplasma infection and now one of the hens is sneezing... just trying to give their immune systems an extra boost to help them get over the bug. Sort of like some of us (myself included) might take a multivitamin when we're sick, or in the winter when our diets may be lower in vitamins.

Sorry about the respiratory infection problem!!!
It makes more sense then. Do any of them resent the new flavor and drink less?
I'm very annoyed with my galvanized waterers here. The newer ones loose their coating and rust really fast, much faster than the older models. Is it just me thinking this?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom