Viva Las Vegas!

I've gone to the feedstore and asked if I could sweep some straw off the floor (of course, usually that's in the middle of a chicken feed purchase). Seems like a win-win for all. Bring your own bag.

Last edited:
Does anyone know someone who breeds Ameraucanas around here? I have 3 broodies and want some eggs to put under them and I'm very low on blue layers.

I've gone to the feedstore and asked if I could sweep some straw off the floor (of course, usually that's in the middle of a chicken feed purchase). Seems like a win-win for all. Bring your own bag.

Remember though if you do that, you could be bringing in bugs that wouldnt usually have. It might be better to just buy what you need

Just a curiosity question. What does everyone use for nesting material?
I have used a lot of different types but the one I like the best is aspen fiber cooler replacement pads that they use for swamp coolers. I buy a roll at Meads Hardware (4438 E Lake Mead Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89115) and it lasts a long time. It is a bit of work to cut up but I love the way it doesn't stick to my marans eggs. Also, the hens don't seem to eat at it like they do other mediums. It really looks nice too. I tried to link a picture here so you can see what I mean.

ETA: Tumbleweed33 - I put the chicks in with the broody and all seems well. They were so happy to have a nice, fluffy, warm body to cuddle under. I keep going out and listening for any trouble but all is well so far. All I hear are soft, contented peeps. I will try to post a photo tomorrow. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
By the way, I met a lady at the feedstore that tried to place chicks with her broody. The lady tried to give them to her during the day and the hen just freaked out and ran for the other side of the yard. We talked a bit and I shared my own experiences. First of all, it is best to separate/confine the broody hen in a pet carrier several days in advance, preferably at night. A broody needs some darkness and alone time to really get comfortable. Otherwise she is always in defense mode of the nest against "intruders" aka other hens, you or even chicks. Once the hen is sitting tight for a few days, you can add freshly hatched chicks at night and the hen will almost always accept them. I've heard the chicks need to be young (no more than a week old at the most) or they won't accept the mom or mothering because they are too independent. Don't know if that is true or not. The lady I spoke to said her hen eventually adopted the chicks after about a week or so. That was probably a very dangerous time for those little babies. I sure wouldn't want to gamble with chicks I'd paid money for like that. Anyways, just sharing information.

Currently, I have one broody happily adopting freshly hatched chicks (from Tumbleweed and the feedstore) one more broody broken of broodiness, one more broody to break, and two more broodies to find eggs to sit and hatch out. I can only hope that I'll not have any others go broody, but I bet I will have at least 3 others before summer really sets in. Too bad. The early hen gets the chicks!

ETA: Has anyone else had a hen adopt chicks? Or, what do you do to break your hens of broodiness?

Last edited:

I promised Tumbleweed some pics of the coop. I had to expand when I adopted the 6 that were abandoned. They are almost a year old :). Trying so hard not to get more - that darn chicken math.

I just wanted to thank Tumbleweed. We picked up our chicks from her yesterday and they are doing well :)

Last edited:
I have a strange request. Does any one here in Vegas butcher their own chickens? (Here comes the creepy part) If so, I need to watch and learn how to do my own. I want to be sure of what I'm doing, humanely and safely.
smile.png

If you cannot find a live person, try YouTube. There's several chicken butchering videos...admittedly some are better (and more informative) than others. Once you get through a few of them you'll get the idea on the basics.

Back
Top Bottom