Viva Las Vegas!

The thing that I always think of and thats why I feed chicks medicated feed is that wild birds can be carriers. Since I have a lot of wild birds around me, its worth it to feed the medicated feed for now. Once the chicks get older, I will go back to feeding holistically.

Hi neighbors. The wife and I just moved to Las Vegas last year and we're planning on setting up a coop in the backyard to house three hens. We have experience with animals, but this would be our first time with chickens. Would one of you be willing to be a mentor for us? We'd be respectful of your time, and I would just like to ask a bunch of questions to supplement all the reading I'm doing on these forums to help us feel like we're going to be off to a good start. If you're willing to help, please PM me. We're in the SW near Durango and Blue Diamond.

Thank you in advance,
Jason

Ask away on the forum here, Jin. We're all friendly and helpful. There's no such thing as a stupid question.... We all began as chicken novices.

The best advice I could give you for keeping chickens in Las Vegas is to put your coop in the shade and make sure your birds have access to shade as summers are brutal and go for heat-tolerant breeds.

Hahah, sounds just like me - 3 hens. Right now I have 11 hens and 2 roosters. Always build the coop much bigger than you need - chicken math happens.

Sorry, I always mean to send you pics! They are doing great. I had 2 go broody a month ago, and was going to let them hatch some, but I had 2 out-of-town trips and didn't. I think only 1 is a true Blue, but the mix of black and blue is very pretty. The big black rooster is fairly mean but a good protector, the mixed rooster will still let you pick him up. We really enjoy having them.

Back
Top Bottom