Volume by breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mirth, Feb 13, 2012.

1. mirth

mirth Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Peoria, AZ
    I live in a subdivision and had six chickens (2 ee, 2 white leghorns, 1 br & 1 red). They are all just over five months old, either the br or the red has been laying eggs for about a week. Yesterday I gave up on my one white leghorn and found her a new home because of her constant loud shrieking and yelling. It was constant and awful and seemed to be getting progressively worse. Yesterday we came home and it sounded like a massacre was going on in the backyard. She did finally lay her first egg yesterday and was quiet for all of 5 minutes while she did so. As soon as she was done though it started right up again and continued for at least an hour. Rather than lose the whole flock for disturbing the peace, I found her a new home and delivered her to it late yesterday. This morning, the other white leghorn started in with the ruckus. It wasn't nearly as bad, nor nearly as long but still, it's an obvious disturbance.

My questions:

1. Is this a temporary thing that will go away once they get into the swing of laying eggs?
    2. Is this a breed thing? So far the rest of the girls are fairly quiet and it's only been the leghorns.
    3. If I re-home this second leghorn will the next dominant one in the flock just pick up where she left off?
    4. Do they sell muzzles for chickens?
    5. Is there anything else I can do?

The girls are not free range but they are allowed to roam the backyard for several hours each day. The leghorn I re-homed was loud regardless if she was in the coop or out. The one today was only loud in the coop and I waited for her to quiet down before I released them.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I feel you but IMO they are loudest when they've laid an egg and they all do it. You want to say shut up.
    Actually though lawnmowers, traffic, dog barking etc. is louder and the chickens probably aren't as loud at your neighbors as you might think.
    When I had roosters start to crow I asked the closest neighbor if they bothered her and she replied "I didn't know you had chickens"

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Are you saying your White Leghorn is dominant over your other hens, including the Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red? I would think either the BR or RIR would be dominant.

Leghorns make more noise than most other breeds. Breeds like your Plymouth Rock are fairly calm and friendly, typically, and they are good egg layers, which helps to make them popular for small backyard flocks.

The Leghorn you rehomed may have been particularly noisy. There are individual differences, so I would give the other Leghorn a chance before finding her a new home.

But the other types of chickens you have will most likely be more quiet.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  4. mirth

mirth Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Peoria, AZ
    Thank you both. And yes, the leghorn I re-homed was the top hen in the house. In fact when I released her at her new location she went right into the middle of the flock of turkeys and gave them all the stink eye. I would describe her as brazen. If I had a larger and more secluded property I would have kept her in a heartbeat because she was so obnoxious and bossy. I'm going to keep an eye on the other leghorn and see if things improve any. I'm really hopeful things will calm down once they get into the swing of the egg-laying thing. Thanks again!

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You may want to keep your Leghorn for her egg laying ability.

I have an Ideal 236, which is a leghorn hybrid. I have to say that she HAS gotten quieter, as she has 'matured' she just started her egg-laying in October. Also, you said it was the Leghorns first egg---maybe that is something to squwak about.

I think your post is amusing about the bossy hen and the turkeys. Give you other one some time and maybe you won't have to rehome her too.

6. mirth

mirth Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Peoria, AZ
    Thanks ChicKat, I will wait a bit to see if things settle. Today the remaining leghorn hollered for "only" about two hours. I know my next door neighbor could hear it because she sent me a text asking what I was doing to the chickens (she's not the neighbor I worry about). Anyway, as of around 2:10 it's been quiet, which is kind of what happened yesterday. I'm hopeful that maybe the duration of the chaos will reduce to a reasonable time frame as they mature. I'm not opposed to muzzles though ;)

7. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I agree mirth,

Maybe you have a new invention there....and it would be a big seller for BYC's with near neighbors. LOL.

A couple of times mine were riotously LOUD and it turned out that there were snakes near. Sometimes they are trying to tell us something...then there are those other times. One of my BPRs was off the decible scale, one day, I thought she was dying from egg laying. It was a one-time thing.

Hopefully they really will quiet down for you. I bet that is what will happen.

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Leghorns are fantastic layers but IMHO they are the loudest birds you can keep not to mention they are really nervous and flighty. I would rehome all of the leghorns before they cost you your whole flock. The RIRs and BRs along with Speckled Sussex and Orpingtons are great for your situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by