Voorheesville, NY Poultry picnic 8/27/2011

Quote:
Hahhaa no kidding.. what was that? less than an acre? with a gazillion chickens and alpacas and goats and cats and dogs and and and.. did ya ever get that Emu muggs?
smile.png

Quote:
Hahhaa no kidding.. what was that? less than an acre? with a gazillion chickens and alpacas and goats and cats and dogs and and and.. did ya ever get that Emu muggs?
smile.png

Tis true! We are zoned agriculture/commercial and barely outside village limits. Our chickens are in tractors around the yard, we have a large penned in area for the ducks (plus hand dug pond), two pens for the alpacas. No goats or emus yet! But lots of ducks, 2 Sebbie geese, a potbelly piggie named Willie...plus earthworms and mealworms. Karen...the place has changed significantly since you were here in March! You should see all of my raised beds AND if anyone has access to paca poo...it is the shiznet for your plants! You can use it cold or green.

I saw an article in Mother Earth News that was FOR ME!!!! HOMESTEADING ON ONE ACRE. Well...over 1/3 acre was for growing hay/grain for the family cow, but the rest of it was FOR ME! We could hay offsite, and still may have room for the family cow, but I think Nigerian Dwarf goats would be a better fit. Calgal (who raises NG's) said I need a 24 x 24 area to keep 2-3 happy. I think that's doable here!
big_smile.png

As long as we have room, time, and can manage it all, we will! Don't call me a hoarder JUST yet!

Quote:
smile.png

Tis true! We are zoned agriculture/commercial and barely outside village limits. Our chickens are in tractors around the yard, we have a large penned in area for the ducks (plus hand dug pond), two pens for the alpacas. No goats or emus yet! But lots of ducks, 2 Sebbie geese, a potbelly piggie named Willie...plus earthworms and mealworms. Karen...the place has changed significantly since you were here in March! You should see all of my raised beds AND if anyone has access to paca poo...it is the shiznet for your plants! You can use it cold or green.

I saw an article in Mother Earth News that was FOR ME!!!! HOMESTEADING ON ONE ACRE. Well...over 1/3 acre was for growing hay/grain for the family cow, but the rest of it was FOR ME! We could hay offsite, and still may have room for the family cow, but I think Nigerian Dwarf goats would be a better fit. Calgal (who raises NG's) said I need a 24 x 24 area to keep 2-3 happy. I think that's doable here!
big_smile.png

As long as we have room, time, and can manage it all, we will! Don't call me a hoarder JUST yet!

d2.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
No....it's just that Voorheesville is a village and she has this wonderful lifestock in the back yard. I was very surprised by what was there and how close neighbors were etc.

I love her setup! You're in the middle of a neighborhood, yet it seems as though you're out in the country. It actually seems to be a more rural setting than my house, and I DO live in a rural area.
lol.png

Quote:

big_smile.png

http://www.pic4ever.com/images/d2.gif

That's awesome! I second the
bow.gif

Hey, just because someone has a Fair ya'all can't go getting all SCARY about her set-up! Geeze. You'de think I have crazy roosters
tongue.png
or 80 chickens
wink.png
or a couple goats within the city limits
ep.gif
. Really, just a little coop, a few birds and 2 little goats. No biggie. It's the person who cares for those animals
tongue2.gif
Taking a lunch breack at home then DD had Jr. Superintendant duty at 5 till 8:30 tonight. Think she is doing crafts with the kiddies. For 4H today she got Grand Champion for a standard blue Cochin hen and Reserve for one of our Sussex hens (FOR SALE along with Roo and 3 more hens). My little DD got Reserve Champ Showmanship for Cloverbuds. Yeah! They were cute and but the end of the morning covered in feed dust and shavings from working in the barn. Good girlies! Ok, time for me to get moving or they won't have dinner at the fair. Need to throw something together before we leave.

I sent out info for the picnic via PM. If you want to come please let me know and I will forward you some info. If you don't want to come well, sit home then!
wink.png

It's going to be a good time!

woot.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif

Fair by 8:30 am-nite-nite!

Quote:
It's going to be fun. I'm sure there will be MORE than enough food. Oh, and Heather...the cabbage salad I am bringing you can eat...no animal products! That is, if you like cabbage...
hide.gif

Quote:
It's going to be fun. I'm sure there will be MORE than enough food. Oh, and Heather...the cabbage salad I am bringing you can eat...no animal products! That is, if you like cabbage...
hide.gif

I'm not a big cabbage person but I will definitely try it!
smile.png
smile.png
DH loves cabbage. This will be fun!

Love the 'scarecrow' marking the driveway, I want an eight year old to make me one too. Maybe then people could find MY house.. (My house is SO easy to find, but they put the driveway on the wrong street - so I have two signs pointing to the house!)..

Is anyone bringing day olds? Just in case my broody hatch fails I might need a few chicks... I'll know for sure this weekend.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom