Voorheesville, NY Poultry picnic 8/27/2011

We hit our Super Wally World to pick up drinks (I have several kinds of soda, both diet and regular, and a couple of flavors of Hawaiian Punch - I can pick up other drinks on my way over if anyone would like something else). We visited the water aisle in the supermarket half, as frozen water bottles make really good ice packs to cool down cans. The place was completely cleaned out of water. It was amazing - I think there were a couple of bottles of Perrier left, but that was it. They were also totally out of ice. Fortunately, our Cumberland Farms had plenty of bottled water, so the water-ice-packs are a go - good thing, as I don't think we'll be able to lay our hands on bagged ice for love or money tomorrow! I'll hit Stewarts on the way over to see about ice, though.

Quote:
Awesome! I have instructions from my friend - I think it's to be cooked for about an hour IIRC. I'll bring instructions and thawed spanakopita.
tongue.png
Plus she kindly included the recipe. I am a horrible cook, so I appreciated her help!
smile.png

I am thinking 12ish for us. My hubby is a late sleeper.
smile.png

I went to super walmart yesterday too and yes, the water was flying off the shelves. Seemed rather silly for this area, but oook.
tongue.png
We're on a generator and have a well, so hopefully all will be ok.

Last edited:
Quote:
My youngest DD is 8 also. Fun!

Up and getting the last things together. Jsut check the weather and still looks like no rain till late tonight.
fl.gif
Supposed to get start getting cloudy later in the afternoon. See everyone in a bit!

woot.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

Quote:
Awesome! I have instructions from my friend - I think it's to be cooked for about an hour IIRC. I'll bring instructions and thawed spanakopita.
tongue.png
Plus she kindly included the recipe. I am a horrible cook, so I appreciated her help!
smile.png

smile.png

I went to super walmart yesterday too and yes, the water was flying off the shelves. Seemed rather silly for this area, but oook.
tongue.png

I shopped early for this storm...well water here and no way generator that can be hooked up to well....so I have to make sure I have enough drinking water for as long as the power outage lasts. Washing water I saved in empty bottles in my coat closet....oh and water for the chickens too. I am also planning to fill my bathtub tonight after we both shower so we have water to flush with. That would be the worst part, as far as I am concerned....not being able to flush at least once a day.

Quote:
tongue.png
smile.png

smile.png

tongue.png

I shopped early for this storm...well water here and no way generator that can be hooked up to well....so I have to make sure I have enough drinking water for as long as the power outage lasts. Washing water I saved in empty bottles in my coat closet....oh and water for the chickens too. I am also planning to fill my bathtub tonight after we both shower so we have water to flush with. That would be the worst part, as far as I am concerned....not being able to flush at least once a day.

Same boat here, whenever I finish a bottle of white vinegar or anything in a large bottle I fill it with water adn throw it in the basement for emergency water. filling up buckets of water and the bathtub just in case we lose power and filled all of our glass gallons and half gallons with drinking water for the family. batteries are charged and candles are all pulled out. bring it on Irene!

Gotta go out and find little lost chicks then hit WMart...hope there has not been a run on Marshmallows
lol.png
My 12 year old DD and possibly my 13 yo DS are coming. I am not bring the Sebrights since I id not hear from anyone, but my DD has quite a few feathery jewelry pieces for sale...hint, hint.
wink.png
I don't have a good feeling about leaving preparations in DH's hands, but...
hmm.png

We have enough on hand. Where we live we are fortunate in that we have public water which has it's own generator in case of power failure. We do have a small generator for the fridge and if we don't open the big freezer it'll be good for days before anything thaws. Candles, smelly pretty ones and plain ones. If it's dark I'll go to bed and then get up at first light.
tongue.png
I do like early mornings, everyone else in bed and the hens this morning were doing a whole lot of chatting. Must be excited about the party!

My DH, as previously noted, is a survivalist nut, so he makes sure we have a whole house generator wherever we were living. When we were in California, it was used a LOT, sometimes for weeks at a time - we were up in the mountains with fires/floods/huge snowstorms and it seemed the power went off every time anything that could be considered 'weather' happened. Here, we haven't used it more than an hour or two the whole few years we've been here. However, it's still nice to have. Runs the whole house pretty much, including the well pump and the computers. He'll be happy to tell everyone about it ROFL.
smile.png

Quote:
That is so funny! My DH could care less. We live in such a populated area there are always people around. If the power goes out, once for 2 days in the past 18 years I've lived here, it's still no big deal even in winter. Water is city and has generator, we heat with wood anyway and there is always the gas grill to cook on or our camp stoves. Typically our power will go out for a few minutes then come right back. Only good thing about living on a main road.
hmm.png

Quote:
That is so funny! My DH could care less. We live in such a populated area there are always people around. If the power goes out, once for 2 days in the past 18 years I've lived here, it's still no big deal even in winter. Water is city and has generator, we heat with wood anyway and there is always the gas grill to cook on or our camp stoves. Typically our power will go out for a few minutes then come right back. Only good thing about living on a main road.
hmm.png

Yes, but you don't understand.. living close to all those neighbors means that when TSHTF they will all come and attack you for your supplies.
smile.png
So having those people around is not always a good thing (and yes, *I* am kidding.. LOL).
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom