Voorheesville, NY Poultry picnic 8/27/2011

Exciting times. Just got the power back on after four days. The little creek in our back yard turned into a monster and carved itself fifty feet wide and thirty feet deep. We now have a canyon with a cliff in our back yard. It scoured down to the bedrock and we have a waterfall almost hidden by the gazillion trees that crashed down. The horses had to be evacuated because the trees were falling all over and the water was eating away the edge of their paddock. A walk of over a mile in the torrential rain uphill. I thought I was going to drop dead.

One huge tree from the opposite bank toppled across and is partially laying in my yard. Darn thing must have been 100 feet tall. We heard clunks and thunks and ripping noises all night long as the trees and big hunks of soil and rock let go. Looks like parts of route 145 just down the hill from us are going to slide into the new canyon sometime soon as the guardrails are already tipping that way and the pavement is cracked.

Middleburgh and Schoharie are devastated and thousands of acres of corn and produce are just gone. Wrecked cars, sheds, houses piled up in strange places. Some of the corn is jammed into the railings of the bridge, lucky it is still there. Blenheim covered bridge is gone
sad.png
. Still can't get very far because a lot of the roads are still flooded, blocked with huge piles of stone or literally gone.

We feel very blessed. All of us are alive and we still have our homes. The two lovely hens I got from Annie have given me six eggs. They only missed a day! I named them Annie and Irene. They keep begging to go outside and I spent the last three days working on the run since you don't need power to run a shovel and a hammer. The roof leaked and the ceiling came down in the living room, but the chickens stayed nice and dry in their new coop, so no problem.

Hollie

My DH works for our highway department and has gone in early and stayed till after dark every day since Sunday. He is worn out but there is so much work to be done. With their small crew of 15 guys it'll be a while before all is even temporarily fixed.

Quote:
ooooh! that is exciting.
celebrate.gif
I've been doing ALOT of research, they are bantam cornish game. my mistake. very docile, gentle birds. I'm going ot candle the modern game eggs I've got in the bator today. So depending on those results I may have some of those cool dudes for sale!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
The standard size for the bantam cornish game is 44oz-Roos, and 36oz for hens. I'm looking into getting some standard cornish, those are 10/8 lbs of chunky butts. There aren't many folks with them. My daughter and I are going to the show on Sept 25th, maybe I'll find a couple of the birds I'm looking for there. I'm also looking for a couple of Lav orpington pullets to add to my project. wish me luck. How's the storm clean up going?

Quote:
Wow! That sounds scary! So sorry you got hit as hard as you did.
sad.png

I'd been wondering how you had made out up there. That must have been terrifying!

Quote:
I know how scary it is. After the big flood with Irene a small bridge needs to be replaced. If we get more flooding it could wash out, not to mention safety when I go over it with my truck an trailer fully loaded with two horses and gear. OK. It CAN stop raining for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom