Vorwerk breeding stock

SSHilltopHens

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2023
Dickson, TN
Hello everyone!

I am planning on making my debut into the chicken breeding world with one of my absolute favorite breeds in the world, and I'm looking for some tips on evaluating chicks for selective breeding. Is there anyone out there who has raised these beautiful birds that can give me some ideas on what traits to look for in good breeding stock?

Our current chicks are about 3 weeks old and are from German/Holland bloodlines. I have done some research on the breed standard, but most websites simply define the characteristics that adult chickens should possess and do not offer any guidance on when to cull/defects to look for in young stock.

I know that some traits such as excessive color leakage/black spotting on the body can't really be determined until after the first couple of molts, so I'm not too worried about that at this point. I'm just looking for any kind of early indications as to whether or not my current stock can produce quality birds. I know that it can take many generations to produce birds that are up to the breed standard, I just want to get an idea of what my starting point is!

Here are some pictures showing their development from day 2 to 3 weeks:

1000005421.jpg

1000005392.jpg

1000005423.jpg

1000005428.jpg

1000005840.jpg

1000005837.jpg

1000005829.jpg

1000005831.jpg

Any obvious defects that I should be aware of in these birds? Is it simply too early to tell? Any and all help is appreciated!

Hello everyone!

I am planning on making my debut into the chicken breeding world with one of my absolute favorite breeds in the world, and I'm looking for some tips on evaluating chicks for selective breeding. Is there anyone out there who has raised these beautiful birds that can give me some ideas on what traits to look for in good breeding stock?

Our current chicks are about 3 weeks old and are from German/Holland bloodlines. I have done some research on the breed standard, but most websites simply define the characteristics that adult chickens should possess and do not offer any guidance on when to cull/defects to look for in young stock.

I know that some traits such as excessive color leakage/black spotting on the body can't really be determined until after the first couple of molts, so I'm not too worried about that at this point. I'm just looking for any kind of early indications as to whether or not my current stock can produce quality birds. I know that it can take many generations to produce birds that are up to the breed standard, I just want to get an idea of what my starting point is!

View attachment 3709596
View attachment 3709597
View attachment 3709598
View attachment 3709599
View attachment 3709600
View attachment 3709601
View attachment 3709602
View attachment 3709603

Any obvious defects that I should be aware of in these birds? Is it simply too early to tell? Any and all help is appreciated!
I am interested in this breed as well! They are really neat looking birds and I have been on the lookout for them for a while. I can’t answer your question but I’ll be following this thread. Where did you get yours from if you don’t mind me asking?

I am interested in this breed as well! They are really neat looking birds and I have been on the lookout for them for a while. I can’t answer your question but I’ll be following this thread. Where did you get yours from if you don’t mind me asking?
I absolutely love them! These are honestly some of the friendliest, most well behaved chicks that I've raised.

I got them from a couple in East TN who exclusively breed Vorwerks 🙂

Hello everyone!

View attachment 3709596
View attachment 3709597
View attachment 3709598
View attachment 3709599
View attachment 3709600
View attachment 3709601
View attachment 3709602
View attachment 3709603

I'd say pick the ones that are the best quality and closest to the breed standard of perfection. So for example ones with a slower feather growth rate, crooked beaks, and any that are stunted in growth are ones you don't want to breed. All of them seem to be if high quality! No defects or abnormal features so I'd say see how they grow and do a final check or two for the best breeding quality birds! They are very adorable!

Back
Top Bottom