1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vulture Hocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wife2abirdman, Nov 20, 2012.

1. wife2abirdman

wife2abirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    WHY are vulture hocks a disqualification?

I understand what they are and I believe my three blue Cochin hens have them. I am fine with keeping them as pets but just wondering why they are a show DQ as they don't look like they detract from the looks or seem in anyway problematic. I get that they don't look very pretty maybe in other breeds but in Cochins you can barely tell and I would never have even noticed if it weren't for this forum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I think what they mean by Vulture hocks are stiff feathers like in Millie Fluers. Cochins have the feathers called vulture hocks but they need to be much shorter and very fluffy not stiff. This is my opinion and understanding of it. Yours don't look to have this disqualification. Their butts are nice and fluffy.

Here is an example of vulture hocks (right below the wing)on a millie. See how pronounced they are from the body and they look like normal feathers rather than fluffy feathers.
    [​IMG]

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by