Vulture keeps landing in my yard

Years of experience with animals, both domestic and wild, have taught me to say "usually" instead of "never" and "always."

Yes, and if i'd said Black and Turkey Vultures never attack living prey that would be a false statement. Especially since Black Vultures often prey on sea turtle hatchlings as they hatch and make their way to the water.

I did however state that I had never experienced, which is true. I have never seen a Black or Turkey Vulture attack a chicken or any other poultry in all the years I've owned them.

Yes, and if i'd said Black and Turkey Vultures never attack living prey that would be a false statement. Especially since Black Vultures often prey on sea turtle hatchlings as they hatch and make their way to the water.

I did however state that I had never experienced, which is true. I have never seen a Black or Turkey Vulture attack a chicken or any other poultry in all the years I've owned them.
Well, my experience of actually seeing them, chasing them off my bird, plus a $145 vet bill, convinced me to put covers on all my pens.

I would love to see some pictures of vultures attacking a healthy critter. We have them here and I have never witnessed a vulture attack a healthy animal. My pens are all covered but not because of a vulture attack but from hawks, eagles and owls. They may take very young small and week animals but are primarily scavengers. There are a lot of predators for sea turtle hatchlings among other wildlife. Their journey is perilous. I do think that vultures are primarily scavengers. Here most of our predators are coyotes. I have witnessed vultures eating a wild boar that had been hit by a car. I read the articles cited in the above post and it said in both,
"Even though most folks find the birds repugnant, vultures fill an important niche in nature. They are the clean-up crew. This lifestyle demands certain adaptations."

"A major adaptation is food. Carrion, or dead matter, makes up most of both vultures' diets. But black vultures may include newborn animals, chicks and eggs in their menu. They will also eat grass and vegetable matter."

"Mostly carrion. Feeds on carcasses of dead animals of all sizes. At times also eats eggs of other birds, turtles, lizards. May kill and eat young of some birds, sea turtles; sometimes eats newborn young of larger mammals. Also eats some plant material, such as coconuts and rotting vegetables. Will scavenge scraps of refuse from garbage dumps."

I think they prefer to scavenge. I didn't find anything on vultures ganging up on larger animals and killing them. I believe this is probably rare. I couldn't find anything on people actually witnessing this. If someone has documentation/pictures, that would be interesting. Just curious.

I would love to see some pictures of vultures attacking a healthy critter. We have them here and I have never witnessed a vulture attack a healthy animal. My pens are all covered but not because of a vulture attack but from hawks, eagles and owls. They may take very young small and week animals but are primarily scavengers. There are a lot of predators for sea turtle hatchlings among other wildlife. Their journey is perilous. I do think that vultures are primarily scavengers. Here most of our predators are coyotes. I have witnessed vultures eating a wild boar that had been hit by a car. I read the articles cited in the above post and it said in both,
"Even though most folks find the birds repugnant, vultures fill an important niche in nature. They are the clean-up crew. This lifestyle demands certain adaptations."

"A major adaptation is food. Carrion, or dead matter, makes up most of both vultures' diets. But black vultures may include newborn animals, chicks and eggs in their menu. They will also eat grass and vegetable matter."

"Mostly carrion. Feeds on carcasses of dead animals of all sizes. At times also eats eggs of other birds, turtles, lizards. May kill and eat young of some birds, sea turtles; sometimes eats newborn young of larger mammals. Also eats some plant material, such as coconuts and rotting vegetables. Will scavenge scraps of refuse from garbage dumps."

I think they prefer to scavenge. I didn't find anything on vultures ganging up on larger animals and killing them. I believe this is probably rare. I couldn't find anything on people actually witnessing this. If someone has documentation/pictures, that would be interesting. Just curious.

The next time a couple dozen or so alight on my dog kennel panels where my Lab Mix and Norwegian Elkhound dogs reside, I'll try to get some photos. They do that about once a month on average but with deer season, they have plenty of carrion at the moment.

Cmom, I guess you are saying that I am not a person who actually witnessed this. I wonder how you expect me to feel about that.

When it was happening I didn't run back to the house to get my camera, instead, I rescued my chickie. Ten years ago, I didn't have a cell phone with me at all times to take photos. And I only started posting on the internet when I retired.

I am sorry also that you need to see video instead of believing what you read. The information you quote clearly says they eat young birds, even though they prefer carrion.

Cmom, I guess you are saying that I am not a person who actually witnessed this. I wonder how you expect me to feel about that.

When it was happening I didn't run back to the house to get my camera, instead, I rescued my chickie. Ten years ago, I didn't have a cell phone with me at all times to take photos. And I only started posting on the internet when I retired.

I am sorry also that you need to see video instead of believing what you read. The information you quote clearly says they eat young birds, even though they prefer carrion.
I'm sorry, you misunderstood me. I'm not saying about you taking pictures, but if you have seen any pictures in your research. I'm not doubting you and I would have done the same thing to protect my birds. I was wondering, in your research, if you had come across any pictures or videos. I had a hawk once grab a chick. It happened so fast I didn't have time to react. I did research this because it is interesting to me since we do have a lot of vultures around here. Not long ago I caught a vulture in a live trap and I didn't take a picture. I did catch the fox I was after. They have never landed on my coops but now and then they do land on the pasture fence posts. I don't carry my phone around either, it's rarely even turned on. I primarily have it if I leave the house for emergencies. I am also retired in my 70's. I was just curious about any research you have done and what you found and if there were any pictures or videos in your research that you would share and would post links to. Just curious, not doubting you...

Perhaps @centrarchid could comment or provide some anecdotal evidence as he is well-learned in the ways of raptors and other birds of prey.

I've done some independent research and have yet to find an example with photo or video evidence. But it seems that Black Vultures at least, are changing their feeding habits in areas where the population density is high.

This is merely conjecture, but I know that seagull populations have exploded in recent decades due to landfills and the amount of refuse humans produce. It would seem that our behavior/habits may have allowed Vulture populations to explode past the point where naturally occurring carrion is enough to adequately sustain them. Perhaps this could attribute to their feeding habits changing?

Perhaps @centrarchid could comment or provide some anecdotal evidence as he is well-learned in the ways of raptors and other birds of prey.

I've done some independent research and have yet to find an example with photo or video evidence. But it seems that Black Vultures at least, are changing their feeding habits in areas where the population density is high.

This is merely conjecture, but I know that seagull populations have exploded in recent decades due to landfills and the amount of refuse humans produce. It would seem that our behavior/habits may have allowed Vulture populations to explode past the point where naturally occurring carrion is enough to adequately sustain them. Perhaps this could attribute to their feeding habits changing?
I have seen recent news articles concerning Black Vultures attacking live calves in Indiana and I think Oklahoma. A few years back there was a video showing a cow trying to drive Black Vultures away from her newborn calf. That video is not coming up in limited searches I ran last night.

I had black vultures kill one hen and injure a rooster (later died from those injuries). A raven got my attention, it was screaming at the vultures. It's the only time I've ever seen one. This isn't part of their normal range.

Back
Top Bottom