Vulture keeps landing in my yard

ChooksinChoppers

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Ocala, Florida.
Would it be after the chickens? They all free range all day. I have not seen a lone vulture before have you? I live out in a farming area and we have hawks but never seen vultures before and there is nothing dead in my yard for sure! Do they go after live prey? How do I get rid of it? Right now it is sitting in a high tree that overhangs my coop and just a while ago it had landed in my yard and scared the heck out of the chickens, but flew up onto the coop roof when I went out there to see what is going on. Edited to add it is a Black Vulture.

Last edited:
Vultures around here do indeed go after live chickens.

Would it be after the chickens? They all free range all day. I have not seen a lone vulture before have you? I live out in a farming area and we have hawks but never seen vultures before and there is nothing dead in my yard for sure! Do they go after live prey? How do I get rid of it? Right now it is sitting in a high tree that overhangs my coop and just a while ago it had landed in my yard and scared the heck out of the chickens, but flew up onto the coop roof when I went out there to see what is going on.

Do you know if it is a black vulture or turkey vulture?
Turkey vultures tend to be solitary while black vultures usually travel in numbers.
Turkey vultures have the best sense of smell which brings them to carrion. Black vultures don't have the same senses and tend to follow the turkey vultures to the carcass.
Both will kill birds for prey but blacks do it more frequently.

Do you know if it is a black vulture or turkey vulture?
Turkey vultures tend to be solitary while black vultures usually travel in numbers.
Turkey vultures have the best sense of smell which brings them to carrion. Black vultures don't have the same senses and tend to follow the turkey vultures to the carcass.
Both will kill birds for prey but blacks do it more frequently.
It is a black Vulture..sorry my edit didn't keep up with the quick replies! I looked it up on the web...damn thing is still perched up in that tree.

I had a group of five or six (family group?) fly over my coop and land on a nearby tree a few days ago. My birds were NOT let out right then, but later in the morning after the vulture family moved on. We have vultures around here, and they do good work, but will be heading south soon.
Mary
I have a problem with the heading south thing LOL I am south!

Back
Top Bottom