Vulture keeps landing in my yard

Vultures and all raptors are indeed protected by a couple different federal laws. Hazing problematic animals is okay but I would encourage anyone considering harming or killing these animals to reconsider. Not just because it’s illegal, but if you haven’t seen the recent report, bird numbers in North America have plummeted in the past few decades. Any birds, from warblers to eagles, really don’t need us exacerbating their population declines because we are “frustrated” with them. Especially considering that chickens are the single most numerous bird species on the planet and as managed livestock stand about zero chance of devistating population crashes or extinction. The same cannot be said for many of our wild bird species.

Vultures are also far more beneficial for the environment then they are harmful to any kind of livestock. Might they go after a chicken or a calf? It’s possible but it is not something I would be overly concerned about. Heck, if you have loggerhead or northern shrikes in your area they would probably hunt small, young chickens more than a vulture would. But consider the turkey vulture’s scientific name: Cathartes aura, the purifying breeze. The work they do to clean up carrion is vitally important and helps keep infectious diseases like anthrax and rabies from spreading in the environment. I wouldn’t worry about vultures in my yard. But worldwide, vultures are considered one of the most vulnerable groups of birds, having declined by over 90% in Africa, Asia, and Europe and considering they are responsible for removing some 70% of the carrion in those places, the loss of these important animals is something to worry about.

Vulture populations may have increased since the banning of ddt, but don’t forget that at one point passenger pigeons were the most numerous bird on the continent.

And when people in this thread suggest that lethal control is an acceptable approach, I do feel it’s pertinent. If our thinking is that a “nuisance” species ought to be shot on sight, than that does have serious implications when it comes to those which are sensitive or experiencing declines.

Hello there. We have turkey vultures all the time and never had a problem. But after some hawks got a few of my chickens we got guard geese. The geese bond to the flock and protect them really well. We haven’t lost one chicken to Arial predators since.

Hi, @ChooksinChoppers . Perhaps you should contact your local animal control or nature people/officials,(whatever they're called, sorry)? They could either tell you what to do or do something about it. It's worth a shot.

Vulture populations may have increased since the banning of ddt, but don’t forget that at one point passenger pigeons were the most numerous bird on the continent.

And when people in this thread suggest that lethal control is an acceptable approach, I do feel it’s pertinent. If our thinking is that a “nuisance” species ought to be shot on sight, than that does have serious implications when it comes to those which are sensitive or experiencing declines.
My posting history on this forum solidly supports I am an advocate for wildlife. When engaged in politics, do your audience a favor and not stir confusion when pressing your point.

Vultures and buzzards don't attack chickens but if you have a dead animal somewhere nearby, even something as small as a rat or squirrel they will land searching for the dead critter. Don't worry about the "black chickens" just give it a day or so and they'll be gone. I have many turkey buzzards in my area. They land on the telephone pole out front off and on. Tells me something nearby (usually a squirrel) is dead. They're gone by the next day far elsewhere. Very useful birds buzzards for cleaning up already dead things and yes they DO look like big black naked-headed chickens..

I 've never had a problem with buzzards. They are to busy eating up the road kill possums and armadillo's . That is fine dining in the south. they will pass up a dead deer for a possum and we have our fair share of roadkill deer also. I have deposited a few on the side of the road myself. that's no fun.

Back
Top Bottom