Vultures too?!

SCMommaHen

Songster
Apr 16, 2021
As I walked out to the coop this morning a giant black bird took off. It had a good 5ft wingspan. I couldn't see it's head but I'm guessing it was a vulture. It was very low to the ground watching my chicken nuggets safely locked in the run.

I just got my electric fence in and was really excited to get to try it out this weekend. Now I'm thinking I better get the bird netting up first.

I knew they are in the area but didn't think they were a threat. Has anyone had a loss to a vulture?

As I walked out to the coop this morning a giant black bird took off. It had a good 5ft wingspan. I couldn't see it's head but I'm guessing it was a vulture. It was very low to the ground watching my chicken nuggets safely locked in the run.

I just got my electric fence in and was really excited to get to try it out this weekend. Now I'm thinking I better get the bird netting up first.

I knew they are in the area but didn't think they were a threat. Has anyone had a loss to a vulture?
I never had a loss to a vulture.

I have never had any issues with vultures. We do have them around and I see them every day. I did catch a vulture once in a live trap when I was after a chicken killer fox.
20200720_111521.jpg

I do have electric wires around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering my pens. When I first covered my pens with the netting I ran short so bought some online which was poor. I put it up anyway thinking it would still deter any aerial predator and it did for awhile. A GHO decided it could go through the crappy netting and did and killed some birds. Each time it went through I put another piece over where the owl went through, but it did it again. I moved the birds to another coop and put up a camera. I did replace that netting with some good netting and the owl tried again but this time got caught in the netting. We managed to get it into a cage and a wildlife rescue came and got it. I have previously posted these pics.
20210115_095548.jpg
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg
IMG_20200229_133038.jpg

I do have electric wires around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering my pens. When I first covered my pens with the netting I ran short so bought some online which was poor. I put it up anyway thinking it would still deter any aerial predator and it did for awhile. A GHO decided it could go through the crappy netting and did and killed some birds. Each time it went through I put another piece over where the owl went through, but it did it again. I moved the birds to another coop and put up a camera. I did replace that netting with some good netting and the owl tried again but this time got caught in the netting. We managed to get it into a cage and a wildlife rescue came and got it. I have previously posted these pics.
View attachment 2717813View attachment 2717814View attachment 2717815View attachment 2717819
Beautiful but deadly. I hear owls nearly every night. My netting arrived today but the rope won't get here until tomorrow. It wasn't that expensive but is polyethylene not nylon. Hope it holds.

Back
Top Bottom