Wabbits with my chicks?

Boondachs

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Calvert County, MD
Hey all, quick question. Someone local is giving away 2 rabbits. Is there any issues with putting rabbits with my flock (9 hens 1 rooster)? As of now, I do not know the breed, age or sex of these lil guys. Will post info as soon as I know. Thanks!

You can do a search--this has been discussed alot!. How do you plan on keeping the rabbits? In cages or just running free in the coop? If running loose, they will dig and tunnel, so that is something to consider. some ppl say rabbits should not be near chicken poo. Personally, I keep my rabbits in the same barn with my chickens, but mine are in cages.

Do a search and read all the dicsussions about this.

The two go together well.
But each is best maintained in its own space.

If you house the rabbits on the ground, make sure you put inward sloping wire around their pen. They are notorious burrowers and it would not do to have them get out.

We have one bunny that we keep outside with the chickens. The girls usually ignore him unless he gets to irritating them. He likes to play chase, he will run around my RIR in circles until she tries to catch him. Once in a while they will try to put him in the pecking order. LOL They have never hurt him though.

Well i did a number of searches and came up with very little usefull information.
I was thinking along the lines of letting them into the run with the flock during the day and cooping them at night. I would also give them their own small space to sleep at night but if they do burrow, would i be able to get them out for bed time??? or could i just put a small "house" over the opening for them to sleep in??? any thoughts? Thanks again

OK *update*--- They are two males aprox 6 months old. unknown breed as they were purchased at the farmers market. will try to get photo.
Will two males live together OK? Also, are they old enough to sex? as i DONT want baby bunnies from two "male" rabbits LOL!

awww nm, they were just rehomed
sad.png
. oh well maybe in the future.

The problem with boy bunnies is that they evolved to BREED, and they don't seem to care with what species! I tried a boy bunny with chickens, and he chased them and would hump one if he caught it. The hens seemed quite disturbed over his behavior, so we removed the bad boy. If you teach your bunnies to come to you for treats, they'll be easier to catch if you decide to put them in hutches at nite. I've heard of 2 boys getting along, as long as they're not in competition for a lady, but you'd have to keep an eye on them for awhile.

Just saw they were rehomed... Maybe this experience will help in the future.....

Like I said,

"The two go together well.
But each is best maintained in its own space."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As animals that are worth keeping on a small home lot or stead - both are worth having. Each are fairly simple to rear, feed and maintain.

But it is an older wisdom that says to keep animals apart, each to it's own species when they are confined. On the "oldschool" dairy farm I lived on as a child, for example, cows were with cows, pigs with pigs and so on.

Chickens defied this rule, somewhat, as they could roam about at will. But they were the only animals we didn't bother to hold in check.

Today, we people care about animals and their welfare. This carries on to everyone thrusting their various critters together, to live in "harmony." Dogs and chickens and goats and cats and turkeys and rabbits and cows and donkeys and geese and horses, etc., etc., all expected to get along in the same space.

It strikes me, though, that is the furthest thing from the critters' own nature. Sometimes I think we forget that.

Last edited:
From what I understand.. rabbit are very sensitive to bacteria and other things that chickens can carry. So.. it's not advised to house them together in the same pen free roaming. Otherwise you'll end up with a sick rabbit. Also.. rabbits are very clean animals and don't like getting dirty... with chicken poop on them. Not a good idea. This is why you want to wash your hands after handling chickens before handling rabbits. Two bucks as siblings will do OK for a short time.. but rabbits are territorial and when they become sexually mature will fight. With or without a doe around. Not pretty.

Each animal has it's own set of individual needs.. while it's convenient for us to house them together.. it isn't the best for them. And that's what needs to be considered first. What's best for them so they thrive.

Susan

Back
Top Bottom