Waddles turned white

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mjgasp, Aug 25, 2016.

1. mjgasp

mjgasp New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    Two of my buff Orpington hens waddles have turned white! I read somewhere it may be favus and to use iodine drops in the affected area. Please let me know what this may be. Other than this they seem to be acting fine. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    1 person likes this.
  3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    One of my buff orpingtons has the same thing, just noticed it yesterday. Not crusty though and not really comb, its the ear i think, skin on side of head/neck? Anyways, the skin like turned white or rather is a mix of pink and white now instead of pink. I'm not sure why and interesting the Orpingtons have it.

I thought maybe it could be anemia? I think I have scaly leg mites in my flock and have been meaning to treat so I'm going to try treating that and seeing if that helps. I sure hope it does. Should be pretty simple, just some Vaseline or vegetable oil on the legs to suffocate them then maybe gently washing/rubbing their legs with warm water and some Dawn soap to rub the crust out from between the scales. I hope it works. I'm gonna put some on the comb too just because

4. mjgasp

mjgasp New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    It's definitely on the waddle right below the ear and not the ear itself. It looks powdery and two of my chickens have it. Could it be fowl pox? And if so how would I treat this?

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Dry skin will cause waddles and combs to turn a bit white.

Fungal infections will also cause skin to have a whitish appearance. Usually fungal infections involve the entire face as well.

I don't think this is anything huge right now, but you might try some vaginal cream and rub it on the wattles and any other area that has white on it. This cream will help with any fungal infection and add moisture to the skin.

Poor ventilation in the coop at night can cause eye irritation and fungal infections of the skin too. All the ammonia can cause issues. So make sure you have at least 1/2 to 1 square foot per bird of vent space in your eaves for proper airing of the coop.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Could it be that they aren't really Orpingtons, but Buff Minorca instead? That is the earlobe, not the wattles. The wattles are the red bits under the 'chin.' What color eggs do they lay?

7. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Great suggestions above and I know June's was directed at OP but for mine I know they're Orpingtons because it just recently turned white plus that's what I ordered. Although I wonder if OP's chickens just turned white like mine or they've always been white and they're concerned?

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Just because it's what you ordered, doesn't mean that it's what you got...
    White earlobe breeds don't usually have noticeably white earlobes until they begin to reach maturity.

9. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

I guess that's true but they don't really stand up like Minorcas either and they lay brown eggs. Mine were hatched in October so they're like 10 months old and the others have red ear lobes. Do they mix brown layers and white layers if you ordered all brown layers? I suppose it is possible but I would have thought it was more common to mix them up with other brown layers like a buff chanteceler or an australorp with a jersey giant. (which i know that mix up has happened). At any rate, mine all lay brown eggs. Although it's possible OP's are something else

10. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just checked and turns out the hatchery I got mine from doesn't even carry Minorcas so I guess that's further proof, although OPs could still be something else

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by