Wage Garnishment

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by beerman, May 19, 2010.

1. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    How do creditors know where you work to do a wage garnishment? I can see if you put it down for a credit check or something but if you don't tell anyone where you work how do they know? Is you tax information public? Just wondering.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Your employers files quarterly reports with the state and the IRS. That is how they know where you work.

3. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    Shouldn't that be confidential information?

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't think the general public can access that information, but a court would be able to.

5. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    And that information (where you work) is often included in your credit report, too, in the general information section. If a judgement is issued against you they can run that and get the information in order to collect. If that person owes the debt, it is their responsibility to pay it and of course the company is going to use legal means to find them and get their money. If a person doesn't want to be found at their job and have a garnishment, they should contact the creditor and work out a payment plan on their own - and HONOR IT or know they'll come looking for you to get it. ETA: That would generally need to be done before a garnishment is awarded, though, once they have garnishment orders they'll most likely just continue with that.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    They track you through your SS # and the IRS if you are working.
    The stinkers... [​IMG]

7. swift4me

swift4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    in the Pyrenees
    I had our state tax board contact me once by telephone to garner the wages of an employee. Unfortunately, I didn't do a background check before hiring him, and things got alot worse before we fired him.

Seems like by the time your wages are garnished... you owe somebody some money.

Pete

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Yes that is true, however, a person should not be judged because they have a wage garnishment. It usually means a form of child support or back taxes. Pobodys nerfect.

9. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:sell waid.

10. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    unfortunatley all it takes is an illness,loss of job,broken bones, to drop you credit from great to zero these days..doesnt mean the person is not trying,but credit card companies will make your life living h*ll before they will actually try to help..some times things out of anyones control happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by