Wait...why didn't I just buy a coop?

foxinachickenhouse

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Oregon
Okay so I'm officially losing it. I had a little shed on the property that I thought would be perfect for the coop. Built a frame to put it on, borrowed some muscles to move it onto the frame and now comes the easy part right? finish out flooring, install venting, rehang doors, cut window holes, install windows, build nest boxes, pop door and attach run (which I built a few weeks ago). viola right?! Nope. Now I can't fathom ever getting this done. It took me all day yesterday to floor it and hang the doors and all morning today to install one vent strip which it looks like now I'll have to remove and redo anyway!
th.gif

Thanks for the space to rant. Remind me why am I doing this again?

Simple! So you'll be able to proudly look at it one day and say, "I did that".

This is a spirit that is disappearing, so be proud you are doing your part to preserve it.

Buying things is easy.

Pete

Quote:
I totally agree. We built our two coops. We need another one (a brooder) for the mama and babies that are supposed to hatch tomorrow. I found a coop on Craigslist and emailed it to my hubby. He said it would "work" for what we need, but why don't we just build another one. He stopped at Home Depot on the way home from work last night for materials (building this one out of PVC pipe) and we got the frame built before bed last night. All we have to do is make a door and put the wire on it and we're done. It is so much better than the one we saw on CL.

Hang in there and your work will make the coop that much more enjoyable.
thumbsup.gif

gig.gif
You don't know how many times that exact sentiment crossed my mind.

Especially on the MULTIPLE trips (in the same day) to the hardware store.... gah... not just the driving, but the costs add up to you know?

But now... I have pics... and I hear DH telling his dad "Yup, she pretty much built this all" and I just kinda poof up a little.

Well... until my OCD mind starts taking in the bits that aren't quite right... that corner is a little off... etc.

Still, very much worth it.

Thanks y'all. I've always been able to count on Texans to shore up some droopy shoulders.
smile.png

One day I'll be able to look out at this semi-hideous chicken home and say "Yup, that thing made me cry." Good thing the girls don't judge.

New pot of coffee brewed and I'm headed back out there...
fl.gif

Well after just having built our own coop all I have to say is that even though the cost did add up and it would have probably been cheaper to buy one.
The time we spent on our coop the past month together as a family was invaluable. I know my husband grumbles about all the work and the cost to
everyone but inside I know he is really proud of the coop we built together-although he wont admit it. I also know when I look at my coop I not only think
what an awesome coop but I will always remember it as good quality time we spent as a family together!!!!! (It doesnt get any better than that)
So try not to think of how many eggs it will take to make it worth it-but the joy it has given me .

There is nothing like that sense of pride! Be sure to post pics and show off your handywork once it's complete.

Quote:
around 900 lol

Um only 900 eggs?? If you can get over a dollar per egg maybe--our "new adventure" has cost over a grand at least--for 5 chicks!
th.gif

I'm on my THIRD gallon of primer and about to lose it ..................It will be worth worth worth it!

Back
Top Bottom