Waiting for Success...

Liz567313

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 27, 2013
TX
I had three eggs that I got from my uncles farm; two died, but the other one developed properly... When hatching day came, it didn't hatch.
Today I got four new eggs. I'm incubating with a heating blanket... Any tips for success?

I'm not familiar with the heat blanket, I've only used an incubator.
Have you incubated eggs before the time it went a bit wrong? Heat needs to be right, there needs to be humidity, decent air flow, and turned at least 4 times a day.
Eggs need to be washed with room temperature water to get poop off, and must be incubated within 7 days of laying. Need to be stored in cool room where temperature doesn't fluctuate much.
Other problems may be that the chickens weren't old enough (death in the egg increases a lot of hens are cockerel are only a year old) damage in transit (eg being shaken about) or too much incest!

Have you got photos of the heat blanket and explain how you would be caring for the eggs. Also, what breed are the chickens and how old are they?

I'm not familiar with the heat blanket,  I've only used an incubator.
Have you incubated eggs before the time it went a bit wrong? Heat needs to be right, there needs to be humidity, decent air flow, and turned at least 4 times a day.
Eggs need to be washed with room temperature water to get poop off, and must be incubated within 7 days of laying. Need to be stored in cool room where temperature doesn't fluctuate much.
Other problems may be that the chickens weren't old enough (death in the egg increases a lot of hens are cockerel are only a year old) damage in transit (eg being shaken about) or too much incest!

Have you got photos of the heat blanket and explain how you would be caring for the eggs. Also, what breed are the chickens and how old are they?

I am using a waterproof heating blanket. I have hatched a batch of chicks in an incubator before, but not with a heating blanket(this is new).
It may have just been the humidity, because I studied chickens a lot and am pretty sure I did everything else right. How can I tell the humidity without a wet bulb? Is there a way? And, for my new chicks, do you have any tips as to how I can succeed in hatching this batch?

Not sure what kinds of chickens(my uncle has like eight different breeds of chickens, so it's luck of the draw). I have an elongated light green egg, a large, brown, spotted egg, a medium sized brown egg and a small brown egg.

Oh nice mixture, I prefer surprises :)

The best way to check if the humidity is good is to keep an eye on the air pocket. It can't be allowed to get too dry as it will decrease the sack, and when it comes to the chicks 'pipping' out, the membrane is tougher and tighter and too difficult for them.
I've only ever used an incubator which has a water bath at the bottom, the set temperature then causes the water to slowly evaporate around the eggs..
The humidity just mimics the natural moisture outdoors and maybe even a little in the nest material, quite different to the dry, clean environment of a man made material.

If it is a humidity problem, maybe gently spray a (very) fine mist of warm water over the eggs every 3 days or so, when you are turning them.
Don't saturate the eggs, or leave droplets on the shell surface, try it out on your arm or face first. So fine that when sprayed on your cheek, your skin absorbs it almost instantly.

I don't know about a heat blanket or how successful is can be. Make sure the surface of the blanket isn't too hot or doesn't fluctuate.
Google 'air sac for chick in egg' and you get lots of diagrams of how big yours should look at certain stages.

Finally, remember not to turn the eggs 3 days before their hatch date as they are setting themselves in position.
If hatching starts and there seems to be struggling, you may need to help a little, but this can also be dangerous if not done correctly.

Youtube 'helping a chick to hatch' if worst comes to worst, but this is a last resort.

Hope everything goes ok, do you ever candle your eggs to have a look?

Oh nice mixture, I prefer surprises :)

The best way to check if the humidity is good is to keep an eye on the air pocket. It can't be allowed to get too dry as it will decrease the sack, and when it comes to the chicks 'pipping' out, the membrane is tougher and tighter and too difficult for them.
I've only ever used an incubator which has a water bath at the bottom, the set temperature then causes the water to slowly evaporate around the eggs..
The humidity just mimics the natural moisture outdoors and maybe even a little in the nest material, quite different to the dry, clean environment of a man made material.

If it is a humidity problem, maybe gently spray a (very) fine mist of warm water over the eggs every 3 days or so, when you are turning them.
Don't saturate the eggs, or leave droplets on the shell surface, try it out on your arm or face first. So fine that when sprayed on your cheek, your skin absorbs it almost instantly.

I don't know about a heat blanket or how successful is can be. Make sure the surface of the blanket isn't too hot or doesn't fluctuate.
Google 'air sac for chick in egg' and you get lots of diagrams of how big yours should look at certain stages.

Finally, remember not to turn the eggs 3 days before their hatch date as they are setting themselves in position.
If hatching starts and there seems to be struggling, you may need to help a little, but this can also be dangerous if not done correctly.

Youtube 'helping a chick to hatch' if worst comes to worst, but this is a last resort.

Hope everything goes ok, do you ever candle your eggs to have a look?

Great idea. I will try misting them.
I do candle, but I'm on day six and am waiting a little before doing so. I will post pics either tomorrow or the next day.

I did mist them with an old spray nozzle I washed what seemed like a million times. I also added a few more eggs that were about four days old to the batch, so now I have seven.
Sadly, last night I candled them and the only egg that I noticed progress in was one I call Blume, the green egg... But two of the eggs I started out with don't even look fertilized.
Better news include that I found a heat lamp, and am trying to adjust the temperature in a new incubator that the eggs will call home in a day or two. Thanks for all your help!
1f423.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom