Waiting for winter in upstate NY! Helping the hens!

torbaynewfs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
Owego, NY
Although so far we have had a mild start to the winter, I am sure bad things are right around the corner! Usually I spend a lot of time shoveling paths for the girls and hauling out water for them several times daily. does anyone have any other tips and ticks for keeping the chicken area accessible in the snow? Or any other thoughts to make surviving winter easier...for them and ME!!??

I intend to use our snow blower to help make paths for easier access to pens. And lots of hot water on those cold days for a warm drink. Perhaps a warm mash on particularly cold mornings? My girls will eat oatmeal leftovers faster than their own feed!

Winter is now upon us; I look forward to the end of March: out like a lamb!

Quote:
I feed our girls organic buckwheat Japanese noodles in the morning, these are easy to fix and in expensive, just cover with hot water let stand a couple of minutes, pour off the water and voila, the girls have warm yummy treats. I will also feed them warm rice mixed with corn. These are good winter treats, to keep on weight and give them some thing warm on a cold winter morning.

Winter is here is central NY. This is my first winter with my
chickens. I do worry that they will get cold. The coop
is insulated. I would like to know what the temperature in the
coop should be.

69877_silkie_chickens_2010_052.jpg
This is our second Winter. Last year we worried about a lot of things. We do give our flock hot cooked oatmeal and warm brown rice. We have electric old fashioned unit to keep water from freezing.

Back
Top Bottom