Waiting is SOOO hard

casumm

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Our first ever chicks are supposed to hatch tomorrow and come next week. We are all set up and ready to go. (I'm not very handy so I'm kinda proud of how my simple little brooder turned out.) Thanks to everyone who posted brooder tips and pics. Copying all your ideas was easy peasy!

58820_brooder.jpg

I think I'm more excited than my little guy is.
lol.png
I swear this is alot like waiting to deliver my son. (Gear all packed by the door for when it's "time".) Any last minute words of wisdom?

Thanks!

-chris

jumpy.gif
Looks good just make sure you check the temp. and dip their beaks in the water. Enjoy those fuzzybutts when they get here they are a lot of fun. What breeds are you getting?
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks! We just did a test run on the position of the heat lamp to achieve 95 degrees but I can see myself checking that a lot. They'll be on our 3 season porch so I'm a little curious about how the ambient temperature affects the combined heat lamp temp .

Dip their beaks for a drink... check!

We are getting two Easter Eggers and two Barred Rocks! Can't wait!!!!

-chris

Mine are coming the 14th too, and I am getting two Buff Orps and two Plymouth Rock!
smile.png
It is hard to wait, my kids keep asking "WHEN!" and thanks to the OP for your pic of the brooder....it is what I am aiming for as well! What wattage bulb do you have? Ours will also be on the porch and I am leaning towards a 60 to start with (checking the temp of course) because I live in GA and it is already nice and hot here.

Mine are due to hatch Wednesday and be here Thursday or Friday.

Second time around, so I'm a tad bit calmer. Do need to finish setting up the brooder though, as soon as it's cooled off enough to work outside.

Quote:
My little ones are due tomorrow too. I cant wait! Congratulations casumm! Please take deep breath and enjoy every moment! It will go so fast, before you know it your babies will be here
smile.png
I think this will be a fun experience for you and you family!! I hope you post photos when they arrive!

Oh, one thing I noticed in your photo was the brooder lamp. I love the clamps on the auto lamps (which is what you have) but the socket is made of plastic. A 250 watt gets really hot which could melt the socket. So I bought a brooder lamp with a ceramic socket and switched the clamp to the auto clamp (the one you have). Then you'll have the best of both worlds! You may not even need a 250 watt on your porch, at least not during the day??? A lower wattage may work ?? Just keep a close eye on the brooder temp and you'll be fine.

Have a great time with this new adventure!!

I know what you mean! Waiting is a NIGHTMARE! I've gotten everything set up, and my chicks were supposed to come last friday! BUT, the feed store we're ordering them through messed up...and no chicks for us
sad.png
jumpy.gif

I have not ordered this year, but I have been incubating like crazy..first one did not go too welll,,,I got 6 (a friend then brought me six so i would not feel so bad, making a total of 12) second batch was only 4, third batch was 19..way to go there..then I had a bantam hen hatch out 6 last wednesday and another due to hatch out this or next week....so I know all about the waiting....ughhh

Back
Top Bottom