Walk in coop vs Non walk in

I prefer the walk in most definitly way to many pro's and no con's, I have quite a few chickens so the little pretty Barbi doll house things don't work for real chicken folks LOL.

AL

I have both walk -in and non-walk in coops. Unless the coop is small, 4x4 sized, you will need the walk-in for easy access. I much prefer my walk-in coop.

Coops look big until you put in feeders, waterers, roosts and nest boxes.
And you wont save that much money by going a little shorter. You'll just end up cutting more lumber

My 4x4 is not a walk in, obviously. I am going to add on another 4x4 section in a couple of weeks, making it an 8x4. I will make another access door in the new section. No stooping over to clean, just scoop the poop and move on. Now, my run is 4x8 and will be made larger as well. It is covered at 48" high. I wish it were walk in. That may be something I explore at a later date.

I think it depends on the size of the coop and whether you need to maximize your roofed run space. I have a raised 8'x8' coop with an attached walk-in 6'x8' section. I much prefer the walk-in part for ease of use, cleaning etc. However, I live in an area with heavy snow and the raised coop gives my birds a bonus extra 64 sq feet of covered run space. So there's an 8'x16' roofed run plus the extra 8' under the coop, which makes for a substantial amount of extra rain-and-snow-free space. It's a pain, though, because although it's tall inside, the bottom chords of the trusses are about 3' up. I have to climb up into it and then crouch between the trusses when I go in to clean it, handle the birds etc, which isn't going to get any more fun as I get older! If it were long and narrow it really wouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom