Walk me through Coccidiosis

no prescription needed. You can buy it online. search for 2.5% Toltrazuril.
I googled the heck out of it both as "Baycox" and "Toltrazuril" and didn't come up with anyone selling it here. I read it is legal in Canada and Europe, but not here. Not sure if that's old info, or new. I know I could get Baycox from my vet a few years ago.

Are you feeding medicated chick feed? If not you should be. That could have prevented this. I fail to understand why people don't. It's essential imo and it's not 'unnecessary medication', it creates a gut environment where coccidia cannot thrive and multiply.

I googled the heck out of it both as "Baycox" and "Toltrazuril" and didn't come up with anyone selling it here. I read it is legal in Canada and Europe, but not here. Not sure if that's old info, or new. I know I could get Baycox from my vet a few years ago.
Do you live in the USA? This is the first google result for me : https://horseprerace.com/toltrazuril-2-5-30cc/

Are you feeding medicated chick feed? If not you should be. That could have prevented this. I fail to understand why people don't. It's essential imo and it's not 'unnecessary medication', it creates a gut environment where coccidia cannot thrive and multiply.
Many species of coccidia are resistant to amprolium (the medication in medicated chick feed). The parasites develop resistance because people medicate too much when it is not necessary.

Many species of coccidia are resistant to amprolium (the medication in medicated chick feed). The parasites develop resistance because people medicate too much when it is not necessary.
that is not the case where I live. The medicated part is a chemical nutrient (can't remember the name - ACS?) that creates an inhospitable environment for coccidia. It is not a medicine like antibiotics and they can't get resistance.

I know this is a bit late to reply, but this thread popped up. Many dog show people/breeders are not happy with toltrazuril from horseprerace.com as it looks different at times and at one point was tested and found to not be what it was supposed to be. You can order real Baycox from Australia or easier...get Endocox which is dissolvable toltrazuril powder from bird supply places online...Jedd's Bird Supply carries it. Magic bullet for coccidia!

Back
Top Bottom