Walling in run to increase coop size

cozycoop1314

Songster
5 Years
Jan 6, 2017
Holland, MI
So we have a coop with a run attached. All of which is inside a larger fenced in area. During the day the girls have the whole fenced in area (pretty huge space) to go about their chicken way. We have an attached run on our coop that I'm wondering if I could panel over the hard wire cloth to enclose it, essentially creating a larger coop. We don't need the run as they have so much space outside all day & a couple of my girls have been deciding to roost out in the run at night...which I don't totally mind because it's predator proof....(but to be honest, even predator proof, I just worry bc I know if something can see them so obviously, it'sjust asking them to try & get them I feel like), but once it gets cold (we're in Michigan) they'd need to be in an enclosed coop. The actual coop is good enough/enough space, but just enough...closing in the run would make the coop so much bigger.

Has anyone ever done this? I'm thinking weather treated panels would work but just curious anyones insight.

I assume this is a prefab or similar type of coop? If so, then:

To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

I assume this is a prefab or similar type of coop? If so, then:

To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/
Yes! This is what I was thinking! I was going to leave the top wire area uncovered for the ventilation & also add in some additional windows on the panels I put in so I can open more up for light & air etc

But yes, thank you, this is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking

Back
Top Bottom