Wally's Journal - A Rescue Hen

Pics
September 17th, 2021-

A lot has been going on here in the past year. And Wally's "gotcha-versary" passed by me. As of the 4th, she's been with us officially for a year, and she's such a sweet girl.

In August, our other elderly adopted pup passed away. His twin sister passed last August, a few weeks before Wally's rescue. Then today, one of our older rescue hens passed away. Losing these two amazing companions in the past few months has been difficult. They had long, full lives and I am very grateful they were with us for all the years that they were.

Wally is doing well with mister Tater - I'll take a photo of them having a late rescue anniversary party together when all this rain eases up.

Just wanted to pop in and say Happy Gotchaversary for Wally, my how a year has flown. All the crazy things that have happened since. I am so glad she's a part of our lives.

I just read through this whole thread, what a sweet story!!! She's a gorgeous bird. Do you know what breed she is?
That's so cute that her and Tater get along. I had a pullet, Ash, that I raised with one of my ducks, and they were always so adorable together. It's crazy his affectionate they can be with something of an entirely different species.
Birds are truly special creatures. I'm so glad you could rescue Wally and give her a new life. What a wonderful thing you have done. Good job. :hugs

Just stumbled onto your post and read through the thread. I loved every minute of it! I’m so glad that you and Wally found one another and that you’re the kind of soul that wanted to help her live her best life. She’s a lucky lady and it sounds like your kindness was repaid. 😊♥️♥️
Did I mention that she’s just beautiful? 🥰

@MGG - Thank you for reading along! Wally we believe very much resembles a brown/chocolate Orpington after someone here mentioned it once. I am amazed that she has bonded so well to our duck - she came to us as an adult, so no clue what or who she was raised around. The duck was raised with a female duck, but they did every so often interact with the chickens as they were neighbors. It is amazing that two fully grown animals of different species were able to interact and become pals. Thank you for the kind words.

@JennAndHens - Thank you for joining it to read Wally's story. It's been such an incredible little journey with her. We have a soft spot for animals in need, and they sort of just find us! I love that she was able to bond with our little ducky and give him a friend in his time of need. Thank you for complimenting her! I will definitely post some more photos of her soon- I am hoping to get her posed with some Fall scenery :)

I need to get on here and update more and post some photos! Guys, Wally is doing so wonderful. I love this big gal, and she's been laying eggs here and there for us too. Sassy as ever, spoiled and still needing a light shined for her to get on the perch.

I am very sorry to report this....I haven't been on BYC in a time. Our dear Wally passed away last month. We thank you all so very much for supporting her story and following along with us, and we loved her dearly. It will always remain a fond story, but I do get heartbroken when we pull into the grocery store parking lot now. I see her that day under the truck in my mind. But we smile knowing she didn't lose her battle that day to a vehicle. She had two beautiful years, made more feathered friends, had lots of fun digging up fresh worms with us, and turned into such a happy bird. She always enjoyed her beak rubs, and developed the cutest habit of sitting on her perch at night, shaking her head at you if you called her name. You talk and talk to her and she would just stare, but the call of "Wally" made her gently shake her head and sometimes give a little cluck. Again, thank you to everyone in her little club.....your support for her story was so uplifting.

Back
Top Bottom